How to move the old DNS server to another machine? RRS feed

• Question

• I am replacing my old Windows 2000 server with a newer Windows 2000 server, but I need to move all the DNS, DHCP, WINS, and FSMO roles/services from the old to the new. I moved the DHCP, WINS, and FSMO roles/services. My DNS server zones are in Active Directory Integrated Primary server instead of a traditional Primary zone.  So, I created another DNS server on the newer server with the same matching zones, and I can see them on the new server, i.e. forwarding zones and reverse zones.  But when I open the DNS Manager on this newer server, the description in the window still says "Configure the DNS Server".  The DNS monitoring tool says OK.  I have had the old server shut down since last night and today people logged in OK, mapped drives OK, and surfed OK.  Any ideas?
    Friday, January 26, 2007 10:09 PM

All replies

• Update:   My zones are working and the zones are viewable in DNS manager console.  I even toggled back and forth between Primary Zone and Active Directory Integrated Zone with no problem. I even dcpromoed the old server, waited one hour, rebooted the new server, but with the same results...When I open DNS Console it says "Configure the server". But, it is working just fine. Even netdiag -v reports not issues. Wierd, eh? Any ideas?

Tuesday, February 6, 2007 9:28 PM