'You need permission to perform this action' for ALL folders RRS feed

• Question

• I've just (bravely) put together a server from an old Fujitsu Siemens Scenic P300 (P4 system), adding a 1.5TB HD & SATA controller guff. On my Vista Home Premium laptop, I am getting the above 'permission' thing if I try to write to any folder with anything - even if I just copy a document from a shared folder to my laptop desktop and try to copy it back again.

I'm guessing I've done something, very basic, wrong? (My wife's Vista Business laptop was working okay but now cannot see the server at all. I'm going to re-install the Connector software as this worked when my laptop had this problem...)

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 2:36 PM

Answers

• It sounds like you're seeing Guest access on your server. Check out this FAQ to see if you have properly matched your local account and an account on the server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by ChrisOfTheOT Tuesday, December 29, 2009 5:52 PM
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 3:35 PM

All replies

• It sounds like you're seeing Guest access on your server. Check out this FAQ to see if you have properly matched your local account and an account on the server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by ChrisOfTheOT Tuesday, December 29, 2009 5:52 PM
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 3:35 PM
  • Ken - many thanks for the ultra-quick reply.  :-)

Your FAQ was right on the money. I had no idea that my user name/display names were different. (And I certainly don't remember making it so - why would anyone do that?) Anyway, I am me on all fronts now so server & laptop can chat away happily. I may change the (really annoying) Vista display name to match the pukka Vista login (or is it user?) name at some point. But not today.

Anyway, many, many thanks, Ken. Happy New Year!

Cheers,

Chris
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 5:59 PM