Windows server 2003 NLB support for OCS AV edge server RRS feed

• Question

• Can somebody tell me if Windows NLB is supported for a redundant AVedge server setup. We ran into some problems using a hardware Nortel loadbalancer using DSR. This setup requires the use of loopback adapters which don't mix well with static routes. (And we need those as the AVedge is dualhomed...)

If its not supported can anyone tell me why ?

Many thanks.

Kind regards

Martijn

Saturday, September 8, 2007 8:05 PM

Answers

• It's not supported in production, but you can use it in a lab environment if you wish.  The reason it's not supported and you don't want to use it in production is that it's not aware of the application state.  As a result (from my experience), failover either doesn't occur or takes a very long time unless the server is off completely.  Any decent load balancer has more advanced capabilities to detect an application failure.
    Monday, September 10, 2007 1:37 PM
  • The basic answer is No - NLBS is not  supported for use with OCS. I am led to believe it would sort of  work for testing, but  that's about it. Remember that NLBS is  not true load balanncing, more  like connection balancing - and with OCS, not all connections are equal.
    Tuesday, September 11, 2007 8:54 AM

All replies

• Hi everybody,

One more question.... Does Windows NLB work eventhough it is not supported. I saw some articles that stated that Windows NLB can be used in LAB setups.

Many thanks

Kind regards.

Martijn

Saturday, September 8, 2007 8:13 PM
  • It's not supported in production, but you can use it in a lab environment if you wish.  The reason it's not supported and you don't want to use it in production is that it's not aware of the application state.  As a result (from my experience), failover either doesn't occur or takes a very long time unless the server is off completely.  Any decent load balancer has more advanced capabilities to detect an application failure.
    Monday, September 10, 2007 1:37 PM
  • The basic answer is No - NLBS is not  supported for use with OCS. I am led to believe it would sort of  work for testing, but  that's about it. Remember that NLBS is  not true load balanncing, more  like connection balancing - and with OCS, not all connections are equal.
    Tuesday, September 11, 2007 8:54 AM
  •  

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for the answers. Back to hardware LB it is...

Kind regards

Martijn

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 8:05 PM