How to access backups when PC not connected? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All, a theiving varmint broke into our house and stole the wife's laptop. I have backups on WHS, but cannot access them without her laptop being connected, which is never going to happen. The backups are on WHS as I've verified their location under d:\folders\blahblahblah

How can I access and retrieve certain files? The WHS console will not allow me to "View Backups" on her greyed out icon.

Thanks for any assistance.

Derek

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 5:11 PM

Answers

• So let me understand this:

• You can connect to the dashboard, the laptop is greyed out (normal if the computer is not there/switched on) but double clicking does not open a list of backups for the laptop?
    • You ran ClientRestoreWizard and her laptop does not show up as an option to restore?

If that's the case, there is something wrong that's not related to the laptop being stolen. You sure the laptop has been backed up because you can see the backups (by logging onto the Server locally or remote desktop?).

Sounds as though the database may be corrupt. Do you know when you last successfully used restore?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 6:19 PM
  • It sounds to me like there are no longer any valid backups of your wife's computer on your server.

How often is (was) your wife's laptop backed up? How long has it been since the last backup? What is your backup retention policy like? Where are you trying to access backups: directly on the server, or from a client?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 6:36 PM

All replies

• Assuming you have a machine with the WHS Connector installed, you could run "ClientRestoreWizard.exe" (in the Windows Home Server Folder) on your client machine. Follow the instructions to restore individual files or a complete drive to another location (folder or external drive) on your client.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 5:29 PM
  • Thanks. Unfortunately, it does not show me the name of her laptop when I choose other computer to restore. It's not greyed out, just missing from the list of possible computers.
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 5:46 PM
  • So let me understand this:

• You can connect to the dashboard, the laptop is greyed out (normal if the computer is not there/switched on) but double clicking does not open a list of backups for the laptop?
    • You ran ClientRestoreWizard and her laptop does not show up as an option to restore?

If that's the case, there is something wrong that's not related to the laptop being stolen. You sure the laptop has been backed up because you can see the backups (by logging onto the Server locally or remote desktop?).

Sounds as though the database may be corrupt. Do you know when you last successfully used restore?

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 6:19 PM
  • It sounds to me like there are no longer any valid backups of your wife's computer on your server.

How often is (was) your wife's laptop backed up? How long has it been since the last backup? What is your backup retention policy like? Where are you trying to access backups: directly on the server, or from a client?

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 6:36 PM
  • Ken, you hit it right. Backup was corrupted and irrecoverable. I lost a drive in WHS and for some reason, her backup was damaged, but mine are OK. Luckily I had another backup (a month older) on another machine, so, all her archives are OK. WHS has been repaired and I've added online backup with CrashPlan to the mix, so we should be good with two sources of archiving. What a pain.

Thanks for the replies. Now if I could only backup WHS to my NAS device :)

Thursday, July 14, 2011 10:58 PM
  • I don't use cloud backup solutions. While they seem to work okay in terms of backing up, have you ever looked at how long it will take to restore a significant amount of data? And have you ever compared the volume of data you're backing up to your monthly bandwidth cap (if any)? In my case, if I wanted to back up everything on my server, I wouldn't be able to restore it anyway, because it would take forever, and I my cap is too low to let the restore finish.
    I honestly think you're much better off with a backup strategy that includes carrying physical disks off-site regularly.

Friday, July 15, 2011 12:19 AM