Amount of data not same from Source to Target RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed SyncToy.  I've got a 500 G external drive I use with Laptop and I seek to mirror that disk.  After the software analyzed the data, it comes up with 496 G total data, but my source disk actually only has 465 G of data?  The Target disk was just quick formatted, so it shows as an empty disk. 

I hope to correct this, because obviously, if I fill my Source disk further, then there won't be enough room on my Target (also 500 G external), even though there actually is room?????

Robert P
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 7:12 PM

All replies

• SyncToy creates two synchronization metadata files at the two endpoints that you added to your sync pair.  You will need space both for your data and the synchronization metadata.  It can be the case that the extra GB corresponds to the synchronization metadata file.

This file looks like this: SyncToy_XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX.dat.  You can confirm that this is the case by looking at the size of your metadata file at your source/target endpoint.

Maria del Mar Alvarez Rohena Microsoft Sync Framework
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 1:31 AM
  • Nope.  that file is only 16 bytes.  yet the source has 17 G free and target has only 5 G free.  what's up?
    Robert P
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 4:18 PM