none
Sync SQL databases but store metadata in alternate DB. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a SQL database which I need to sync to several SQL express instances however, I cannot modify the source DB.  I am using the SharingAppDemo as a learning point but I cannot determine how to change the location for the MetaData store for the source database.  Is there an example which demonstrates this scenario?

Regards,

Shane Holder

• Edited by ShaneAH Monday, September 26, 2011 3:55 PM
    Monday, September 26, 2011 3:53 PM

Answers

• there is nothing in the api that would allow you to change where the metadata gets stored. apart from the metadata stored in tables, sync framework also needs to create stored procedures, triggers, UDTs in your database.

when you say you cant modify source database, do you mean you cant alter the tables in it or you cant add any other database objects to it?

• Marked as answer by ShaneAH Tuesday, September 27, 2011 12:49 PM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:22 AM

All replies

• there is nothing in the api that would allow you to change where the metadata gets stored. apart from the metadata stored in tables, sync framework also needs to create stored procedures, triggers, UDTs in your database.

when you say you cant modify source database, do you mean you cant alter the tables in it or you cant add any other database objects to it?

• Marked as answer by ShaneAH Tuesday, September 27, 2011 12:49 PM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:22 AM
  • JuneT,

Mostly reluctant to modify the source table.  It's a Microsoft ERP system, so I cannot guarantee the upgrade process won't remove the triggers.  The FAQ states that the metadata can be stored elsewhere, I was skeptical about the triggers though. 

I sincerely appreciate your response, and clarification.

Thank you,

Shane Holder

Shane
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 12:49 PM
  • it can be stored elsewhere if you're willing to write your own providers from scratch. i was referring to the OOTB database providers, specifically the providers in the SharingApp demo youre looking at.

if your ERP does an upgrade, most likely tables may have changed as well, so you can simply reprovision the sync scopes again.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 2:11 AM