Starting Out RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All, I am new here.

For many years I looked at doing the certifcation for MCSE, the years have passed and I am now 25 and have recently looked back into this to see everything has changed.

My Plan is to buy the books and study at home and to take the exams when I am ready. The only issue is I have having a hard timing picking what I want to do.

I believe this to be the right way to go for me but I am open to anyone with knowledge as I dont have a clue if I need to start somewhere else or not.

MCITP Self-paced Training Kit (exams 70-640, 70-642, 70-646) - Server Administrator Core Requirements, 

Are those 3 tests the only ones I need to do for MCITP Server Administrator Certificate?

Thanks Matt

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 9:13 PM

Answers

• Hi Matt McCracken,

Yes you can go for either Serer Administrator or Enterprise Administrator certification. In both initial two papers are common , once you pass two initial papers then only one paper will be left for the Server Administrator and three papers for the Enterprise Administrator.Its left to you.For further information , go through the link given below.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-windowsserver.aspx#tab3

Buy self-training kit so that you can study at home.Dedicate some hours in a day for study and for practice as well. No need to go and attend classes. Just put extra effort and go through all the concepts in the book. If you have a computer at home , install Windows Server 2008 and practice all the examples and exercises that are there in the book which is sufficient for clearing the exam.

Exam 70-646 ,Exam 70-640, Exam 70-642

is enough for getting MCITP server administration certification.

All the Best for your future......

Let us know if you need any other clarifications...

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 10:24 AM

All replies

• Yes if you are looking at the MCITP:Server Administrator certification, those are the only requirements.

When in doubt, you can always check the pages in the microsoft.com/learning website. In your case, this is the relevant page:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-windowsserver.aspx#tab3

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 5:13 AM
  • Hi Alberto

Thank you very much for the reply. That clears things up very well.

I was starting to get worried as I had emailed a person at torque-it.co.za (South Africa - where I am currently living) and I got a response that I didnt quite understand as I told her I would be studying from home. "I would just like to confirm that 10 courses need to be attended and only 5 exams to be written in order to obtain the MCITP certification .

Some exams need 2 – 3 modules to be attended before the exam is written as the course content overlaps in certain exams . Please be so kind to have a look at the  course and exam equivalences on our schedule and packages when you get a chance . I think that might explain things easier ."

Does anything the email says make sense if I am studying from home and just using them to write the exam?

Thanks again, Matt

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 5:35 AM
  • Hi Matt McCracken,

Yes you can go for either Serer Administrator or Enterprise Administrator certification. In both initial two papers are common , once you pass two initial papers then only one paper will be left for the Server Administrator and three papers for the Enterprise Administrator.Its left to you.For further information , go through the link given below.

Buy self-training kit so that you can study at home.Dedicate some hours in a day for study and for practice as well. No need to go and attend classes. Just put extra effort and go through all the concepts in the book. If you have a computer at home , install Windows Server 2008 and practice all the examples and exercises that are there in the book which is sufficient for clearing the exam.

Exam 70-646 ,Exam 70-640, Exam 70-642

is enough for getting MCITP server administration certification.

All the Best for your future......

Let us know if you need any other clarifications...

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 10:24 AM
  • Hey, thank you for the detailed response. I am typing this on my blackberry so I am hoping it works. I planning on buying the 640 642 and 646 practice books in a bundle, I will do the 640 and 642 exams first and then see what path I want to take, administrator or enterprise. Thank you for ur replies. I appreciate them very much. Thanks matt
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 11:33 AM
  • Seriously consider the Enterprise Administrator path.   More bang for your buck.  It's only two additional exams, and you'll have a more well rounded understanding of Server 2008.  Either certification will give you an edge in the job market, but the EA will give you even more of an edge.
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 2:59 PM
    Answerer
  • I dont want to assume anything but I can get both right? I will get the Administrator first as the confidence I will get from getting a certificate will put me in a great mood to go after enterprise.
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 5:29 PM
  • Yes, you can.  One route might be to complete the Server Administrator requirements first, then fill in what's missing for the Enterprise Administrator.
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 7:13 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for all the replies once again, I thought I had had all my questions answered but I just thought of one more.

Which exam would you recommend I study for first? This will be my first Microsoft Exam and I am not sure which one I should complete first either 70-640, 70-642 or 70-646 ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

Friday, July 2, 2010 9:21 PM
  • Don’t know if this will help but...

I am currently studying for a MCITP EA and have been recommended that I do the Windows 7 exam first (70-680) as it’s the longest, possibly the hardest exam and I will get it out of the way first.  I have all the books for others and they are tiny in comparison to the Windows 7 book.

It’s worth going for/upgrading to an EA as Charles P says it’s only an extra 2 exams but you will get a lot more.

Chris

Saturday, July 3, 2010 3:17 PM
  • Hi Matt,

First you can go for 70-680 , then 70-640,70-642,70-643 and 70-647 .... This will give you EA.

Then finally, if you wish you can go for 70-646 which will give you two MCITP certifications , i.e EA n SA.

Regards,

Tech_Scorpio

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 10:47 AM