none
Exam Time Limits RRS feed

• Question

• I just completed the 70-511 exam and had a question about the amount of time allowed for various certification exams.  While studying for this exam, every practice I took allowed 135 minutes for anywhere from 45 - 50 questions.  I took the Measure-Up exams that came with the Microsoft Toolkit, as well as a few samples that I found online.  Although the online exams did not supply all of the questions for free, the sample tests still indicated that it would be 135 minutes.  When I scheduled my exam, the website said to allow for 3.5 hours to take the exam because of the check-in, pre-test, survey, etc.  Well, if the exam were 2.25 hours, that would mean that check-in, etc., would take about 1.25 hours, which makes perfect sense since we have to arrive 30 minutes before our exam time.  Imagine my surprise when the exam started and said that I had about 60% of the time to complete slightly fewer questions.  I am not really complaining about the exam because I had enough time to complete it (barely), but had no time to review and felt very rushed.  I really just wish I had known that the practice exams were giving so much extra time because I usually had at least an extra 45 minutes beyond what I needed on them.  As a result, I had never worried about answering the questions QUICKLY.   

Is there any place to find out the REAL amount of time for a specific exam or is that supposed to be a secret?  I am wondering because I plan to take another exam in a few months and want to make sure that I know how quickly I need to answer the questions.  

Christine A. Piffat

Monday, April 23, 2012 4:32 PM

Answers

• Hi Christine,

the time amount for an exam depends on the certification and where you take the exam. For example, a non-native English speaker normally has more time for the exam than someone who lives in the US or the UK. From what I know there's no official Microsoft resource where you can find the time you have for an exam, but you could ask your test center before taking the exam. Normally you have 2 to 3 hours for an exam.

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

Monday, April 23, 2012 8:49 PM
    Answerer
  • The test exams you're referring to are not produced by Microsoft and the time allocated to complete these test exams do not represent the time allocated during the live exam.  Furthermore, many testing products allow you to adjust the time allocated for each exam.

When you sign-up for an exam, you are shown the allocated time for said exam.  When you start the live exam, you are advised how much time you have to complete the exam and how much review time you have.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Monday, April 23, 2012 10:52 PM

All replies

• Hi Christine,

the time amount for an exam depends on the certification and where you take the exam. For example, a non-native English speaker normally has more time for the exam than someone who lives in the US or the UK. From what I know there's no official Microsoft resource where you can find the time you have for an exam, but you could ask your test center before taking the exam. Normally you have 2 to 3 hours for an exam.

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

Monday, April 23, 2012 8:49 PM
    Answerer
  • The test exams you're referring to are not produced by Microsoft and the time allocated to complete these test exams do not represent the time allocated during the live exam.  Furthermore, many testing products allow you to adjust the time allocated for each exam.

When you sign-up for an exam, you are shown the allocated time for said exam.  When you start the live exam, you are advised how much time you have to complete the exam and how much review time you have.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Monday, April 23, 2012 10:52 PM