Windows Live OneCare is not working or has been stopped. Help please? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Okay heres the situation ladies and gentlemen, please if theres anything you can do to help it would be greatly appreciated.

I have a laptop and a desktop in my OneCare circle, no problems with the Laptop, But the Desktop is where I'm having a terrible time. On the laptop it shows "Last communication with Desktop was on 7/13." Just so you can understand when the problems started.

Here it goes:

I downloaded BitTorrent about a month ago I believe. I didn't have any issues with that whatsoever. I downloaded a program, still no problems encountered. (Although, with this program I adjusted my clock back to 2003 so that I could use the full version still.. but OneCare worked perfectly fine then and when I adjusted the clock back to 2008 it was fine.)

A week or so later I downloaded another program, Finale Allegro 2007 (music notation software). I think now is where the problems came in. I honestly wasn't monitoring OneCare that much so I didn't noticed the exact occurence that the problem may stem from. Other than that I've been doing standard web browsing such as Myspace and Youtube. Nothing too bad.

OneCare does not launch when the computer boots. If I go to start and open it, a message appears stating

"The Windows Live OneCare service is not working or has been stopped. Try restarting your computer, if problem persists contact support.

So far, in attempt to remedy the situation I have:

1. Gone through the cmd.exe commands such as "net start winss" or something similar

2.Downloaded the AntiMalware tool (no results)

3. OneCare FIrewall Repair

4. RepairBootIni

5. Uninstalled the program, performed the OneCare Cleanup, and reinstalled.

6. A Clean Startup

7. I CANNOT restore to a system checkpoint, I've tried numerous ones and it says "System Cannot Be Restored to desired checkpoint" What's that all about?

8. Restarted my computer when prompted to do so, and on multiple ocassions.

I have uninstalled the last program, Finale Allegro 2007. And I have cleaned cookies, temporary internet files, etc.

Does ANYONE know something that could help me out? Please, I don't want to go much longer without protection.

Monday, July 21, 2008 4:38 AM

Answers

All replies

• I can only guess that you either picked up some undetected malware or one of the programs you installed broke a service that One Care depends on. Contacting support would be the best way to resolve this issue. How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Monday, July 21, 2008 4:09 PM
  • I'm suspicious of the PC date and time. The error you are encountering can happen if the PC date and time are incorrect. Verify that and reboot after correcting it. If my suspicion is unfounded, contact support per Jim's recommendation.

-steve

Monday, July 21, 2008 5:46 PM
  • Hi Steve

We have had exactly the same issue as this gentleman is experiencing, we haven't downloaded anything, our time and date is fine, we have gone through all the steps he has, and still we have the same problem.  Any more thoughts?

Monday, July 28, 2008 3:32 PM
  • The best I can do is refer you to support, barabus.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, July 28, 2008 5:23 PM