none
Why Can't I *Easily* Go To My Previous Page RRS feed

• Question

• Why is there a need to have a Continue page set up when I enter the forums here???

I often come here via a Google or Bing query and when I'm done here I want to go back where I came from.

But instead of just using the thumb button on the mouse, I'm forced to go to the list of previous pages and manually choose where I want to go.

Can we get rid of that???

Thx

Bob Cohen
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 1:21 AM

Answers

• Well, I just downloaded Chrome 15 and this problem hasn't occurred yet.

This should probably be marked as an IE9 funny.

Bob Cohen
    • Marked as answer by Bob Cohen Tuesday, November 15, 2011 6:43 PM
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 6:43 PM

All replies

• You can't use the back button? Can you include a screen shot of the page you get to that you don't want to see? I don't think I quite understand it yet.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 3:15 AM
    Answerer
  • 1)  do a google or bing search on some topic that would bring you to this forum.

2)  click on a link that would bring you here.

3)  try clicking on the back arrow.

You can't get back to the search page.  In the page history there's always a page labled "Continue" before the first page into the forum.  That page always sends you back to that first page.

If you want to go back to the original search page, you have to right-click on the page history and manually select the search page.  i.e. the one just prior to the "continue" page.

Bob Cohen
    • Edited by Bob Cohen Tuesday, October 4, 2011 3:24 AM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 3:23 AM
  • Can't repro this. Until we do/can, you can open the url in a new tab so you don't lose your spot. We'll look into this.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 4:51 AM
    Answerer
  • I've attached a screen shot.  Note that I came from a google search and selected an entry in the forums.

Using the mouse button to go backwards is always intercepted by the Continue page.  I have to manually use the right-click dropdown on the back arrow and then explicitly click on the original search page.

IE9, 64-bits, Win 7 Ultimate, 64-bits.

Bob Cohen
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 2:30 PM
  • Does it seem to depend on if it automatically logs you on - such that there actually was an intermediate page? I get the same thing sometimes.

Incidentally, you can use a slightly longer left-click to get the recent pages on the back button, and a middle-click to open a link in a new tab.

--
    Andrew

Sunday, October 9, 2011 4:13 PM
  • Yes, when I click on a link in a search page that takes me here.

Bob Cohen
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 4:20 PM
  • I can't repro either. Any idea why the varied behavior?
    Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 6:01 PM
    Owner
  • I can't reproduce it reliably, but sometimes when it does the automatic login you can see the text in the browser's tabs change briefly to Continue. Maybe it happens more often if you ctrl-click a link to open in a new tab. Personally, I'm not bothered by it, but it certainly happens. Perhaps it's part of the keep-me-signed-in feature for Windows Live login.

Aha! I've just opened a new browser window (in Firefox), put in channel9.msdn.com for the URL, and I've got the "Although this page is encrypted... Are you sure you want to continue sending this information?" dialog. The browser's URL is at http://login.live.com/login.srf?wa=<elided> for this dialog. I click OK, the page is redirected to channel9.msdn.com, I'm signed in to channel9, and in the browser's back button dropdown list, the previous location is Continue.

I will now be watching channel9 videos for a while as there's new content since I last looked yesterday :)

--
    Andrew

Thursday, October 13, 2011 7:33 PM
  • And another thing for which I'll probably open a new thread:  Clicking the Submit button here doesn't work from my iPad 2!
    Bob Cohen
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 9:23 PM
  • I can't reproduce it reliably, but sometimes when it does the automatic login you can see the text in the browser's tabs change briefly to Continue. Maybe it happens more often if you ctrl-click a link to open in a new tab. Personally, I'm not bothered by it, but it certainly happens. Perhaps it's part of the keep-me-signed-in feature for Windows Live login.

Aha! I've just opened a new browser window (in Firefox), put in channel9.msdn.com for the URL, and I've got the "Although this page is encrypted... Are you sure you want to continue sending this information?" dialog. The browser's URL is at http://login.live.com/login.srf?wa=<elided> for this dialog. I click OK, the page is redirected to channel9.msdn.com, I'm signed in to channel9, and in the browser's back button dropdown list, the previous location is Continue.

I will now be watching channel9 videos for a while as there's new content since I last looked yesterday :)

--
    Andrew

So what's the source of this? Is this the effect of a Firefox setting on various Microsoft websites (TechNet and MSDN)? Does it happen on any other websites? Is there a way to change the behavior in FireFox (turn it off)?

Bob, are you also using Firefox?

Thanks!

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 10:25 PM
    Owner
  • IE9/64-bit running on Win7 Ult/SP1/64-bit
    Bob Cohen

• Edited by Bob Cohen Thursday, October 13, 2011 10:42 PM
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 10:40 PM
  • I often come here via a Google or Bing query and when I'm done here I want to go back where I came from.

The simplest, most reliable method is to use Google Settings and BING Preferences to open results in a new window.   Then to "go back" you just close the tab.   Microsoft Search offers the same option.

---

Friday, October 14, 2011 10:14 PM
  • But why make it hard in the first place?
    Bob Cohen
    Friday, October 14, 2011 10:45 PM
  • But why make it hard in the first place?
    Bob Cohen

To dig deeper, let's identify the exact issue. I don't think anyone said "Let's make it hard." It was probably something that came to light later (or we're helping it come to light now).

So can we verify the issue? It seems that it happens when you get auto-logged onto TechNet. In what situations do you get auto-logged on?

Monday, October 24, 2011 7:26 PM
    Owner
  • Here are 2 scenarios that are repeatable:

1)  Land on a forum page by clicking on a Google/Bing search result (same browser tab):  The Continue page is inserted in the Back list between the Google result page and the forum page.

2)  Land on a forum page by clicking on a link in an email:  The Continue page is not inserted prior to the forum page.

Bob

Bob Cohen
    Monday, October 24, 2011 7:39 PM
  • I'll take item #2 back.  Sometimes the Continue page is inserted and some times it's not.  Unable to see the pattern.

Bob Cohen
    Monday, October 24, 2011 7:48 PM
  • Here are 2 scenarios that are repeatable:

1)  Land on a forum page by clicking on a Google/Bing search result (same browser tab):  The Continue page is inserted in the Back list between the Google result page and the forum page.

2)  Land on a forum page by clicking on a link in an email:  The Continue page is not inserted prior to the forum page.

Bob

Bob Cohen

Does #1 happen all the time for you? Several of us can't reproduce it.

One theory is that TechNet is autmatically logging you in, which forwards you from the logging in screen to the destination page, thus creating an additional page that you weren't expecting. I'm wondering if we can verify or debunk that theory and pinpoint when it happens.

Monday, October 24, 2011 8:35 PM
    Owner
  • OK.  That seems to be reproducible.

I generally leave myself logged into Windows Live at all times.  If I log out, though, do the Google search and then land in the forums, the Continue page is not present.

When I hit the forums while being logged into Windows Live (e.g. via my.msn.com) then the Continue page is present.

Bob Cohen
    Monday, October 24, 2011 10:10 PM
  • I can't reproduce it reliably, but it is quite common to get a "Continue" item inserted at random while browsing the forums.
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 2:56 PM
  • OK.  That seems to be reproducible.

I generally leave myself logged into Windows Live at all times.  If I log out, though, do the Google search and then land in the forums, the Continue page is not present.

When I hit the forums while being logged into Windows Live (e.g. via my.msn.com) then the Continue page is present.

Bob Cohen

This is consistent with being automatically logged in. (The auto log in wouldn't happen if you were signed out of the site.) But it doesn't make sense why it would happen with you every time and with me and others never.
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 9:46 PM
    Owner
  • What other info can I give you?

Bob Cohen
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 12:14 AM
  • Well, I just downloaded Chrome 15 and this problem hasn't occurred yet.

This should probably be marked as an IE9 funny.

Bob Cohen
    • Marked as answer by Bob Cohen Tuesday, November 15, 2011 6:43 PM
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 6:43 PM