WHS Orphaned File Record Segments RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

After spending much of last weekend recovering from a hard drive crash and replacing two drives, my server is again experiencing major problems.

I have two 1 TB Sata Drives and one 500GB external firewire drive.

When I bring up the WHS console, it tells me my network is critical. Several folders have File Conflict Errors. When I click on the details it tells me that "A device attached to the system is not functioning". When I look at the storage, all of the drives are there and all are listed as healthy. When I look at the folders, it tells me that several folders are "Failing (Check Health)".

I have run chkdsk with the /r and /f options on both drives (c: and d:). The d: drive comes back as clean with no errors. The c: drive on the other hand comes back with over a half hour of "Orphaned File Record Segment" errors.

Everytime I have rerun chkdsk on the c: drive it comes up with the same errors.

Please help!!!

Thanks

Steve
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 6:54 PM

Answers

• Windows Home Server doesn't offer an easy way to identify a specific drive in a home-built server. (The manufacturer of the OEM product may choose to supply something, the way HP did with their LEDs.)

For the enthusiast, you could install the Disk Management add-in written by another MVP, Sam Wood. I suspect you actually can't right now due to disk errors, but that add-in can identify your disks. You can dig through the Windows Disk Management MMC snap-in and Device Manager MMC snap-in, plus the registry, and figure out which disk is which that way. Or it's actually perfectly safe to simply shut down your server, disconnect one disk, and boot up. If WHS shows the disk with problems as missing, then you're in good shape. Use the Console to "remove" it from storage. If you get warnings that you'll lose files, you can try recovering the files on that disk from another computer. If you get warnings that you'll lose backups, that indicates that parts of the backup database are on that drive. In that case, given your current problems, you should probably accept the loss of the database and proceed.

However, that you're getting all those errors on one disk suggests that some corruption occurred in the Master File Table. Given that you've had previous hardware issues, I'd probably point to that as the source. Probably the safest thing to do is to assume that the server needs to be rebuilt from scratch. That would involve recovering files from your storage drives using another machine, and a new installation of WHS on the server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 10, 2008 4:18 PM

All replies

• ForestRanchSteve said:

Hi,

After spending much of last weekend recovering from a hard drive crash and replacing two drives, my server is again experiencing major problems.

I have two 1 TB Sata Drives and one 500GB external firewire drive.

When I bring up the WHS console, it tells me my network is critical. Several folders have File Conflict Errors. When I click on the details it tells me that "A device attached to the system is not functioning". When I look at the storage, all of the drives are there and all are listed as healthy. When I look at the folders, it tells me that several folders are "Failing (Check Health)".

I have run chkdsk with the /r and /f options on both drives (c: and d:). The d: drive comes back as clean with no errors. The c: drive on the other hand comes back with over a half hour of "Orphaned File Record Segment" errors.

Everytime I have rerun chkdsk on the c: drive it comes up with the same errors.

Please help!!!

Thanks

Steve

First, if you are experiencing errors on your C partition, I would recommend you replace that physical hard drive, then perform a Server Reinstallation.

In any event, can you please post a sample of the exact error message you are seeing in the Console?  Do you have Folder Duplication on any shares?  How many drives do you have as part of the storage pool?  How much space is used for data?  Also, how much space is used for Duplication (if any)?
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 7:16 PM
  • Kariya21,

The drives are both brand new as of last weekend.

The error messages are:

A device attached to the system is not functioning    Outlook.pst    \\media-server\outlook folders

There are at least 115 of them in 9 folders. There are 14 shares, 6 of them with duplication. The failing folders have both duplication set for some and not for the others.

There are three drives in the storage pool. WHS console shows all drives and all are healthy. The total size is 2.27 TB with 1.31TB free and 334GB used for duplication.

I hope that answers all your questions.

Thanks

Steve

Sunday, November 9, 2008 7:56 PM
  • Hello,
    did your server experience a crash or a power outage before this happened?
    In this case this could be a normal result of this incident.
    Other than that faulty RAM causes all kinds of pain.
    Can you find some errors and warnings related to this in the servers event log?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 8:36 PM
  • ForestRanchSteve said:

Kariya21,

The drives are both brand new as of last weekend.

The error messages are:

A device attached to the system is not functioning    Outlook.pst    \\media-server\outlook folders

There are at least 115 of them in 9 folders. There are 14 shares, 6 of them with duplication. The failing folders have both duplication set for some and not for the others.

There are three drives in the storage pool. WHS console shows all drives and all are healthy. The total size is 2.27 TB with 1.31TB free and 334GB used for duplication.

I hope that answers all your questions.

Thanks

Steve

Have you tried running chkdsk /r on the 2 secondary drives (not the primary drive that contains C and D partitions)?
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 9:19 PM
  • How do you select the other drives in chkdsk?

Sunday, November 9, 2008 9:27 PM
  • Hi Steve,
    check this thread in FAQ.
    Olaf
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 9:31 PM
  • I have run the batch file on the system several times and it starts two cmd windows.

start chkdsk /x /r c:\fs\k
    start chkdsk /x /r c:\fs\x

The one for c:\fs\x is fine, but the one for c:\fs\k returns "deleting orphan file record segment" literally thousands of times. It then dies on stage 2 of 5 in verifying indexes at 10 percent complete with a "An unspecified error occured.".

If it is a hard drive failure, how do I determine which one? Should I remove it from the server storage?

There was no power outage and the event log shows errors, but only tells me "The file system on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume DATA".

Now, when I try and bring up the console from a workstation, it tells me I have the incorrect password. Also, when I run it on the server, it tells me "An unexpected error has occured in the Windows Home Server Storage Manager".

I am so frustrated. This was supposed to be a product that would help preserve my data, but so far has been nothing but problems. I am beginning to think I should have just bought another copy of XP Pro for my backups and storage.

Thanks,

Steve
    Monday, November 10, 2008 2:38 PM
  • Hello,
    may be Outlook had influence on this, since Outlook pst files on a network drive are not supported.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297019/
    If you have a Vista DVD, boot the server from that DVD, open the cmd prompt in the repair tools area and run chkdsk from the Vista DVD to your WHS disks. (Chkdsk in Vista is more robust than the version in Windows Server 2003/XP.)
    Olaf
    Monday, November 10, 2008 3:05 PM
  • Windows Home Server doesn't offer an easy way to identify a specific drive in a home-built server. (The manufacturer of the OEM product may choose to supply something, the way HP did with their LEDs.)

For the enthusiast, you could install the Disk Management add-in written by another MVP, Sam Wood. I suspect you actually can't right now due to disk errors, but that add-in can identify your disks. You can dig through the Windows Disk Management MMC snap-in and Device Manager MMC snap-in, plus the registry, and figure out which disk is which that way. Or it's actually perfectly safe to simply shut down your server, disconnect one disk, and boot up. If WHS shows the disk with problems as missing, then you're in good shape. Use the Console to "remove" it from storage. If you get warnings that you'll lose files, you can try recovering the files on that disk from another computer. If you get warnings that you'll lose backups, that indicates that parts of the backup database are on that drive. In that case, given your current problems, you should probably accept the loss of the database and proceed.

However, that you're getting all those errors on one disk suggests that some corruption occurred in the Master File Table. Given that you've had previous hardware issues, I'd probably point to that as the source. Probably the safest thing to do is to assume that the server needs to be rebuilt from scratch. That would involve recovering files from your storage drives using another machine, and a new installation of WHS on the server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 10, 2008 4:18 PM
  • Thanks all for your help. I pulled the external drive and did a remove from WHS thinking that it was the most likely candidate for errors. After that the system came up with no problems or errors, but just as a precaution, I decided to do a chkdsk on all the drives again. Big mistake, it came back with the same errors as I was getting previously.

I aborted the chkdsk and rebooted and it came back again as clean. I then repaired the backup service and while things still looked good, started a backup of the two most important directories.

So far it is backing up just fine. I guess I will not know for another 4 hours but it is looking promising.

I am not sure what I should do next. I hate to have to rebuild the entire server and copy my files/folders back, but it does seem like that would insure there are no invalid pointers, etc. out there.

Thanks,

Steve
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 2:56 AM