Is This a scam? RRS feed

• Question

• I got a shutdown of My operation system for what a Co called "Clean This"blanked my screen except for an order form which would not allow a normal startup until I paid $99 to get missing components I think they took out as immediately after sending the $99 my system cleared.My Installed anti viru systems did now show these infections which they claimed were there.Is this a scam
    Sunday, March 20, 2011 3:03 PM

Answers

• Certainly it is a scam.  Your computer was likely infested with malware that triggered the bogus notice to appear.  You need to find your Windows installation disc, reformat your hard drive and proceed with a "clean install" of Windows.
    Carey Frisch
    Sunday, March 20, 2011 9:26 PM
  • Hello BobC1934,

This is known as "scare-ware" or "ransom-ware" among computer security experts.

Call your credit card company NOW and request that they do a "charge-back" (which means the CC company takes the money you paid to these scumbags back from them and the CC company puts the money back into your credit card account).

You should visit the Microsoft Answers forum for Microsoft Security Essentials and ask some general questions for more advice on what to do to secure your computer from such attacks in the future:  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum?page=1&tab=all

Monday, March 21, 2011 3:51 AM

All replies

• Certainly it is a scam.  Your computer was likely infested with malware that triggered the bogus notice to appear.  You need to find your Windows installation disc, reformat your hard drive and proceed with a "clean install" of Windows.
    Carey Frisch
    Sunday, March 20, 2011 9:26 PM
  • Hello BobC1934,

This is known as "scare-ware" or "ransom-ware" among computer security experts.

Call your credit card company NOW and request that they do a "charge-back" (which means the CC company takes the money you paid to these scumbags back from them and the CC company puts the money back into your credit card account).

You should visit the Microsoft Answers forum for Microsoft Security Essentials and ask some general questions for more advice on what to do to secure your computer from such attacks in the future:  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum?page=1&tab=all

Monday, March 21, 2011 3:51 AM