Not available in your region RRS feed

• Question

• I recently had to reinstall windwos on my pc because of viruses.After this wipe I am being told my windows isnt available in this region even though I bought it from an english website.I had NO problems before this wipe and believe this is unfair.Please help in whateevr way you can.
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 12:16 PM

Answers

• Hi connorav,

From all that we have discovered, it sure looks sounds like you have counterfeit materials.  Your CD has a hologram that claims it is an OEM CD ("for distribution only with a new PC") yet it has a PID value that corresponds to volume licensing bits, and it put down a volume licensing installation.  Your CoA has an invalid product key on it.

I would suggest that you fill out a piracy report and send in your materials to see if they will be classified as HQ counterfeits---if so, MS will send you a free replacement XP.

Please post back when you get this finalized.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Friday, July 3, 2009 7:02 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I too have suddenly got this problem now... XP has been on my pc for 2 years and it is activated. I have however just installed sp3 and other automatic updates and I'm wondering if this has something to do with it? I have tried the GA advisor (genuine advantage) and it tells me that my COA is now different! I bought this from a uk shop and it is the genuine product. Whats going on? How do We sort this????? HELP!!! 

Sunday, June 28, 2009 6:21 PM
  • Hello connorav,

In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool (MGADiag.exe) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue", click the “Windows” tab, and click the "Copy" button then “Paste” the report into a reply message in this thread.

brooklyn_uk: Please create your own thread and include a Diagnostic Report.

Thank you,
    Darin MS 
    Monday, June 29, 2009 8:27 PM
  • Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.1): ----------------------------------------- WGA Data--> Validation Status: Geographically blocked PID Validation Code: 13 Online Validation Code: N/A Cached Validation Code: N/A Windows Product Key: *****-*****-2487J-KWKMF-RPWBY Windows Product Key Hash: A6tqZpYlrSkfmUWcaNDswSdRpOo= Windows Product ID: 55274-640-8834005-23317 Windows Product ID Type: 1 Windows License Type: Volume Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro ID: {699EC430-686B-4277-BA20-FE02C54DBFDC}(3) Is Admin: Yes TestCab: 0x0 WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.40.0 Signed By: Microsoft Product Name: N/A Architecture: N/A Build lab: N/A TTS Error: N/A Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1 Resolution Status: N/A WgaER Data--> ThreatID(s): N/A Version: N/A WGA Notifications Data--> Cached Result: 13 File Exists: Yes Version: 1.9.40.0 WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft OGA Notifications Data--> Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002 Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002 WGATray.exe Signed By: Microsoft OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002 OGA Data--> Office Status: 109 N/A OGA Version: Registered, 1.7.111.0 Signed By: Microsoft Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-543-80070002_025D1FF3-230-1 Browser Data--> Proxy settings: N/A User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32) Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled Active scripting: Allowed Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed File Scan Data--> Other data--> Office Details: {699EC430-686B-4277-BA20-FE02C54DBFDC}1.9.0006.15.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.prox32*****-*****-*****-*****-RPWBY55274-640-8834005-233171S-1-5-21-796845957-602609370-839522115To Be Filled By O.E.M.To Be Filled By O.E.M.American Megatrends Inc.P1.7020090205000000.000000+000D70D3AFF0184807308090409GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)03109 Licensing Data--> N/A HWID Data--> N/A OEM Activation 1.0 Data--> BIOS string matches: yes Marker string from BIOS: 1A86A:HITACHI, Ltd|1A86A:HITACHI, Ltd|1A86A:HITACHI, Ltd Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005 OEM Activation 2.0 Data--> N/A
    Monday, June 29, 2009 8:47 PM
  • Hello Connorav,

Right now, your computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 10), and that installation was done with a now-geographically blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original key holder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, Microsoft may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, i.e., more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

A geographically blocked key is blocked when it is detected in use outside of the worldwide geographic area(s) covered by its Volume Licensing Agreement.  The particular Product Key you are using, is a widely used pirated key that comes up as very popular if you do a search for it on the internet.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and governments normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Additionally, VL editions are Upgrade licenses ONLY, and therefore cannot be used as the primary or base license for a computer.  If you are an individual consumer using a privately owned computer, you certainly should not be using a Volume License.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.  I would recommend contacting the person or company that sold you the software and demand the Genuine Microisoft Software that you paid for (or at the very least, a refund). I also recommend that you to file a piracy report by visiting http://www.microsoft.com/piracy .

Thank you,
    Darin SM

Tuesday, June 30, 2009 8:32 PM
  • Hello Connorav,

Does your computer have a Certificate of Authenticity, and if so, what edition of XP is it for?
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 4:29 AM
  • It doesnt realy matter now since ive been told I cannot get a free copy of windows but im unsure.The computer was bought without an operating system.
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 11:17 AM
  • Hi connorav,

If the computer does not have a CoA on it, that means it does not have a license to run an OEM edition of Windows.

You mentioned that you purchased Windows from an English website, which leads me to believe that you did buy a copy of Windows on the internet.  Generally websites will sell two different types of Windows:

(1) retail licenses that come in a nice pretty shelf box, the boxtop of which has the CoA on it, with a hologrammed CD inside the box in a folder, and the folder has the yellow orange Product key sticker on it.  These can be Full or Upgrade licenses and it will say so on the box and the CD.

(2) OEM licenses that come with a hologrammed CD shrinkwrapped onto a thin blue (Pro) or green (Home) booklet, and the CoA is on a peel-off label on the shrink wrap, to be affixed to the computer's case.

Could you describe the materials that you purchased?

Wednesday, July 1, 2009 2:21 PM
  • I have a blue booklet,Im surprised to be told its a fake because the microsoft holograms are all over the cd.even on the middle ring.Its also windows professionl
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 4:38 PM
  • Hi connorav,

OK, let's examine your materials.

I am going on the assumption that you have a CoA for XP Pro.  If so, please visually check your CoA and compare the Product Key (PK) on the CoA with the last three sets shown by the mgadiag report, 2487J-KWKMF-RPWBY.  Is your CoA showing the same or different last three?  Note:  DO NOT post the full PK printed on your CoA.

Please closely examine the CD that came with your purchase:

1.  Does the CD read "For distribution with a new PC only" in the upper left?  Is the hologram of the CD embedded within the plastic of the CD, or is it a very thin label affixed to the top surface of the CD?

2.  Pop the CD into a computer and navigate to the setupp.ini file within the \i386 folder.  This is a small file with several lines of text and numbers in two sections.  Please post the text of the second section of the file.

Wednesday, July 1, 2009 6:31 PM
  • not sure what the first bit of the psot said but the cd is embedded and not a label.I also think this is what you want Pid=55274270
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 6:37 PM
  • Connorav,

Please visually check your CoA and compare the Product Key (PK) on the CoA with the last three sets shown by the mgadiag report, 2487J-KWKMF-RPWBY.  Is your CoA showing the same or different last three?  Note:  DO NOT post the full PK printed on your CoA.

Please closely examine the CD that came with your purchase:

1.  Does the CD read "For distribution with a new PC only" in the upper left? 

Wednesday, July 1, 2009 6:39 PM
  • It shows a different 3 codes and for distribution with a new pc only. for product support, contact the manafacturer of your pc.
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 6:48 PM
  • Hello Connorav,

The PID=value for a genuine OEM CD will always end with the letters OEM.  A value ending in "270" or any number 640 thru 649 indicates that the bits on the CD are volume licensing bits and not OEM or retail bits.

Please try this:

1.  Use the Product Key Updater utility to change your PK from the "2487J-KWKMF-RPWBY" PK to the PK on the CoA.

If the PK updater cannot make the change, change the PK following the Method 1 instructions in this MS KB article:  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/328874

2.  Once the PK has been changed to the PK on the CoA, restart the computer and then rerun the mgadiag utility.

I have a hunch that the PK on the CoA is not genuine either, and after changing the PK and rerunning the mgadiag, if I am right the report will come up with Invalid PK.

If I am right and that happens, you should be able to send in you materials to see if you qualify for a free replacement from Microsoft, which can happen if MS deems the materials "high-quality" counterfeits.
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 7:04 PM
  • its now got the same pk as the on on the coa but still says its not valid.Thanks for all of this by the way
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 7:38 PM
  • Hello connorav,

Please rerun the mgadiag and post a fresh report.
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 3:43 AM
  • Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid Product Key
    Validation Code: 8
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-MWT7D-W4KTW-44QQY
    Windows Product Key Hash: ZFr4MPbIV4YUeeRx0djNN+3Qh4s=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-4599681-23337
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {699EC430-686B-4277-BA20-FE02C54DBFDC}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.40.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 8
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.7.111.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-543-80070002_025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{699EC430-686B-4277-BA20-FE02C54DBFDC}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0006.1</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-44QQY</PKey><PID>55274-640-4599681-23337</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-796845957-602609370-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>To Be Filled By O.E.M.</Manufacturer><Model>To Be Filled By O.E.M.</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>P1.70</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="5"/><Date>20090205000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>D70D3AFF01848073</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 1A86A:HITACHI, Ltd|1A86A:HITACHI, Ltd|1A86A:HITACHI, Ltd
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Thursday, July 2, 2009 9:33 AM
  • Hi connorav,

From all that we have discovered, it sure looks sounds like you have counterfeit materials.  Your CD has a hologram that claims it is an OEM CD ("for distribution only with a new PC") yet it has a PID value that corresponds to volume licensing bits, and it put down a volume licensing installation.  Your CoA has an invalid product key on it.

I would suggest that you fill out a piracy report and send in your materials to see if they will be classified as HQ counterfeits---if so, MS will send you a free replacement XP.

Please post back when you get this finalized.
    Friday, July 3, 2009 7:02 AM