Is Backup Sets Maintenance Planned for a future One Care release? RRS feed

• Question

• I hope so. In such a user friendly product the prospect of filling a backup drive, share or whatnot and being confronted with having to deal with folder permissions, manual deletion of the oldest backups vs the most recent truly is in contradiction to what are clearly some of the major design goals of this product.

I hope Microsoft will add a user friendly interface to my backup data sets which allows me a simple way to delete the oldest ones or even all of them whenever I like from within the program to free up space for ongoing backups over time.

Thanks for any info and also for considering this suggestion if you are someone on the development team or have the ability to give them user feedback.

I like One Care very much so far in testing it and plan to subscribe most likely but I can see some usability areas in which it needs improvement in my opinion.

I can say this, the flexibility of One Care backup in allowing me to easily backup and restore any/all data files I am concerned about across my hard disk(s) far exceeds the lackluster efforts by McAfee and Symantec in their suites as of this writing. I have tested them all very recently and while I am for the most part an expert PC user with many years experience, I appreciate the clean interface and comprehensive functionality here that allows me to focus on enjoying my Home PC without endless tweaking and fooling around even though I know how to do all that.

Thanks Microsoft and keep up the good work. I think One Care can rise to become the number one product of its kind thanks to your efforts and also the easy access to comprehensive info here for those who desire it. Your competition fails miserably in this regard as well. It was like pulling teeth searching the net for info about how the backup in those products actually works or most often unfortunately, does not work at all.

Thursday, February 21, 2008 10:30 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the comments. I do hope that the OneCare backup team incorporates a cleanup/management function for backups as this is something we've requested ever since Backup was expanded to allow destinations other than CD\DVD.

-steve

Friday, February 22, 2008 1:59 AM

All replies

• Thanks for the comments. I do hope that the OneCare backup team incorporates a cleanup/management function for backups as this is something we've requested ever since Backup was expanded to allow destinations other than CD\DVD.

-steve

Friday, February 22, 2008 1:59 AM
  • I totally agree. OneCare backup is lacking in so many areas it should have been significantly changed for version 2.0. I can't believe there is not a utility in there to delete old backups. I don't know how many people have "unlimited" drive space. Being able to purge old backups seems like it should be a basic function of any backup application. Furthermore it looks as if in version 2.0 they changed the ability to specify specific folders to backup. Instead they want to backup everything. I understand this is driven by an effort to make it simple, but put an advanced button in there and let the power-users determine exactly which files they want to back up.

Saturday, February 23, 2008 4:59 PM