Signing up to use Bing Translator in Second Life RRS feed

• Question

• After a very long and not very helpful adventure trhough pages and pages of irrelevant information, I think I've finally found my Bing translator app ID which I need to submit in Second life to begin using automatic translation. It's either my Azure primary account key or my Azure customer ID, I'm not sure which. However, when I paste either of these IDs into Firestorm (my Second Life viewer), it tells me "Bing AppID not verified". Please, this is getting ridiculous now.
    Tuesday, June 2, 2015 10:06 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello eve,

Follow the steps here in the MSDN documentation at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh454950.aspx. Subscribe to the free 2M characters/month level, then move to step 2 in the instructions. Create your Client ID and Client Secret. Try entering the Client ID as your App ID in Second Life. We deprecated the Bing App IDs a few years back.

Let us know if it works. Thank you.

Microsoft Translator team - www.microsoft.com/Translator

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 11:53 PM
  • Thanks, but the link is dead:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An exception occurred while processing your request. Additionally, another exception occurred while executing the custom error page for the first exception. The request has been terminated.

Are you telling me I didn't need to sign up to Azure after all?

Even Linden Labs and Phoenix Firestorm in their wikis say that the route to set up is confusing and unhelpful. We do have the option to use Google's pay service which is a good deal for those of us who only need to translate brief conversations, and I'm sure theirs would be a breeze to set up. Frankly I'm thinking I might as well do that because chasing down a solution with Microsoft has taken up far too much of my time already and I'm beginning to regret signing up for Bing and Azure.

But let's give this one more try: The question of setting up automatic translation with Microsoft's free service is raised often at Firestorm (Second Life) classes and the instructors are as much in the dark as the rest of us, so it would be great if I could furnish the instructors with straightforward, clear instructions that they can pass on to class attendees or publish on their wiki. Better that than have half of Second Life bombarding you with questions ;)

Thanks for your help.

• Edited by eve again Friday, June 5, 2015 9:16 PM
    Friday, June 5, 2015 8:27 PM