Blue screen 1000008E, Storage balancing at time. Recently updated files corrupt. RRS feed

• Question

• WHS Repeatedly crashing with BCCode: 1000008E  BCP1: 80000003 BCP2: F7589F62   BCP3 80894568
    BCP4: 00000000  OSVer 5_2_3790  SP : 2_0    Produc: 33073_3.

The Windows Error Reporting says that the problem is caused by a device driver, although the failing driver is not listed.

I had this problem last week and the machine was returned to the manufacturer who replaced the heatsink on the processor.
    Around the time of repeated crashes last week I was updating important financial records on the server (MS Office Multi-TIFF scans of financial correspondence) - These files are corrupt and unreadable by MS Office Document Imaging.

The machine has been returned and is barely warm, and it has crashed again.

The machine had been reliable for over 20 days.  I did try to install a printer driver for my home printer, but it didn't work so I uninstalled the printer drivers.

I am wondering whether the best thing to do is re-install WHS on there?
    Any advice welcomed.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 11:54 AM

Answers

• If you have more then one hdd your files should be still on the secondary or other disks in a folder ..\de\shares. (with the exception of corrupted files obviously) If you have only hdd the files should be in D:\de\shares. Simply take the disk out of the WHS and place in another NTFS capable system.

Also third party USB drivers, often installed with MB drivers, may be the cause of the BSOD. If I recall correctly there are also a few threads on problems with external USB disks on this forum.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 3:04 PM
  • Following the advice about the hidden DE folder (thank you) I have found several versions of the 'corrupted' files.  These are the original file name and extension with a numeric suffix, such as First Direct.tif_00093.

These suffixed files are the latest versions of the files that had been corrupted, so thankfully I haven't lost any data.

Presumably the system creates these files whilst it works out where the originals are before replacing the originals.

I don't know how these files happened to get left around, or why the originals were not replaced with them.  It may have been due to WHS crashing before the file replacements could not complete.

I wonder if there is any recovery code in WHS to look around for these and continue the updates to the originals.
    Thursday, November 22, 2007 9:28 AM

All replies

• Uninstall all third party drivers that are not absolutely necessary (SOUND, VIDEO, ....). If you install printers, do a minimum install (only required drivers) if possible, or use MS drivers if available for your printer.

Reinstall is always a good option, especially if you do a clean install. If you have problems with unknown cause this often also the fastest solution in the end.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 1:05 PM
  • Thanks for your advice.  In the event the machine doesn't recognize my external DVD USB rom anyway so I can't re-install the OS.

I found that the unit would stay up for a while without my external USB2 drives plugged in - and soon as I plugged in either of them the system would crash.

The manufacturer is looking at issuing me a replacement machine.  I hope that I can then plug in my external drives, it won't crash and I can do something to get WHS to see the data on them.

I gather this means rebuilding the tombstones on the main drive.  I hope this can be triggered without a server re-install or I have permanently lost over 260GB of data.

I ran RC1 for months (in an unsupported configuration) of a virtual machine running on my main PC.  Even the VM's C drive was a partition on an external USB drive.  It was very slow but completely reliable.  This gave me confidence to entrust all of my data to WHS.
    Tuesday, November 20, 2007 2:37 PM
  • If you have more then one hdd your files should be still on the secondary or other disks in a folder ..\de\shares. (with the exception of corrupted files obviously) If you have only hdd the files should be in D:\de\shares. Simply take the disk out of the WHS and place in another NTFS capable system.

Also third party USB drivers, often installed with MB drivers, may be the cause of the BSOD. If I recall correctly there are also a few threads on problems with external USB disks on this forum.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 3:04 PM
  • Following the advice about the hidden DE folder (thank you) I have found several versions of the 'corrupted' files.  These are the original file name and extension with a numeric suffix, such as First Direct.tif_00093.

These suffixed files are the latest versions of the files that had been corrupted, so thankfully I haven't lost any data.

Presumably the system creates these files whilst it works out where the originals are before replacing the originals.

I don't know how these files happened to get left around, or why the originals were not replaced with them.  It may have been due to WHS crashing before the file replacements could not complete.

I wonder if there is any recovery code in WHS to look around for these and continue the updates to the originals.
    Thursday, November 22, 2007 9:28 AM
  • AFAIK the tombstones point the latest version of file if the system works as it should. Older/ corrupted files are kept in the hidden DE folder(s). Only problem with this is that your dirves may fill-up quickly if this happens for large files or a large number of files

Thursday, November 22, 2007 10:32 AM