Discontinuing Live OneCare RRS feed

• Question

• I just read on the Smart Computing Q & A page that Microsoft is dropping Windows LiveOne Care antivirus. If this is true they are in my opinion dropping an excellent program. Below is the response that I read in Message #:  3403622.

Message #: 3403640
    Subject: Re:AntiVirus 2009 from Microsoft?
    Sent: 12/1/2008 12:59:10 PM
    A. I don't think it's from Microsoft. I was at a Microsoft seminar on Nov. 20 and one of the announcements is they are dropping Live One Care, renaming it [I've heard Morro as the new name] and leaving out the AntiVirus application entirely.

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 3:34 PM

Answers

• Well, the fact that OneCare is going to be retired is true. See this post:
    Announcement 11-18-08

The message you pasted is wrong on one count and the first sentence isn't strong enough regarding the reply to the subject line. AntiVirus 2009 is rogue spyware and very hard to eradicate once you have been coaxed into installing it via the very official looking popups. The incorrect part of the statement is what will be and will not be in Morro, the code name for the new product. We don't know much yet, but we know from the announcements that Morro will be a free antivirus/anti-spyware product using the same technology used in OneCare, Defender, and Forefront, but expanded on. What will not be included in Morro, which are part of OneCare, are Tune-up, Backup, Multi-PC Management, Printer Sharing, WiFi Security, System Setting monitoring, and probably the Firewall.

-steve
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 4:05 PM

All replies

• Well, the fact that OneCare is going to be retired is true. See this post:
    Announcement 11-18-08

The message you pasted is wrong on one count and the first sentence isn't strong enough regarding the reply to the subject line. AntiVirus 2009 is rogue spyware and very hard to eradicate once you have been coaxed into installing it via the very official looking popups. The incorrect part of the statement is what will be and will not be in Morro, the code name for the new product. We don't know much yet, but we know from the announcements that Morro will be a free antivirus/anti-spyware product using the same technology used in OneCare, Defender, and Forefront, but expanded on. What will not be included in Morro, which are part of OneCare, are Tune-up, Backup, Multi-PC Management, Printer Sharing, WiFi Security, System Setting monitoring, and probably the Firewall.

-steve
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 4:05 PM
  • True, OneCare is a good program... However people just dont want or will not pay for virus / malware programs.
    So, Microsoft is putting out a free virus / malware program for XP/Vista/Windows 7 and you can not beat FREE!!!
    This will be great for the new netbook systems that are having so many virus / malware problems

Wednesday, March 4, 2009 7:05 PM