none
company store software being re-sold RRS feed

• Question

• I recently bought a new copy of Windows Vista from an individual, and when I received it I found that it has a round label in the front that says "company store" and there's a legend that has been covered with black marker and I can't read it.

Did the seller scammed me? Is it ok that someone that bought software from the company store go ahead and resell it?I'm not a microsoft employee, If I knew the software was originally bought from a company store I wouldn't have bought it. What can I do now? Can I use the software without problems?

Thanks for your help.

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 9:09 AM

Answers

• If it's the actual product you get from the company store, then the copy of Windows you got is legit, and will register and work with no problems for you.

However, the person who sold it to you did not follow the "rules" for the company store -- those items are not to be re-sold in general. There is apparently some leeway, because I see MS company store items show up at places like charity auctions now and then. I also believe it's OK to buy for family -- but not to first purchase, and then re-sell to some stranger.
    Monday, March 17, 2008 2:03 AM

All replies

• Answering the following 5 questions can help protect you from counterfeit software:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/content.aspx?pg=prepurchase&displaylang=en
    Wednesday, February 6, 2008 5:46 PM
  • If it hasn't been opened it should be ok .

Monday, February 25, 2008 6:46 AM
  • If it's the actual product you get from the company store, then the copy of Windows you got is legit, and will register and work with no problems for you.

However, the person who sold it to you did not follow the "rules" for the company store -- those items are not to be re-sold in general. There is apparently some leeway, because I see MS company store items show up at places like charity auctions now and then. I also believe it's OK to buy for family -- but not to first purchase, and then re-sell to some stranger.
    Monday, March 17, 2008 2:03 AM