Restore WHS2011 Server From Backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

Apparently, I have stumbled upon an issue that is so rare that for 2 days and many views, nobody, even the experts, know the answer.  When I try to backup the Server's Shared folders, I get a message, "Element Not Found".  OK... since there seems to be no way around that issue, I am going to just back up the Server's C drive (Operating System).  In the event of a total failure where I have to replace the entire WHS 2011 hard drive, I believe this would be the best way to recover.  Please correct me if I'm wrong:

(1) Do a complete reinstall of WHS 2011 from the distribution disk
    (2) Restore Drive C from my backup (this will load all configurations and Windows Updates already applied).
    (3) At this point, I hopefully have a currently configured C drive.
    (4) As far as my D drive, it will only have the empty Shared Folders.
    (5) Will there be an issue with synchronization between perhaps what is stored on the C drive with empty shared folders, or can I just start doing my client backups all over again?

Sometimes, in some apps, the C drive has pointers that must synchronize with data on a D drive.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Rich Locus, Logicwurks, LLC

http://www.logicwurks.com

• Edited by RichLocus Tuesday, April 8, 2014 4:57 PM
    Tuesday, April 8, 2014 4:53 PM

Answers

• You don't need Step 1 - just restore directly from your Server backup. Not sure about your original problem!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by RichLocus Tuesday, April 8, 2014 5:52 PM
    Tuesday, April 8, 2014 5:32 PM