Home Server falls short but... RRS feed

• General discussion

• After a few initial problems, I really like my server.  It keeps my data, and esp my pics backed up, and I feel secure knowing I have 3 copies of every pic.  I wish pic and music sync was built in but that it nit picking!
    SO here is the rub:  My computer, Vista desktop, crashed big time.  Wouldn't boot!!  After some diagnosis I discovered my motherboard was burned.  It was 3 1/2 yrs old, and I couldn't find a replacement, so I bought a new board.  Booted up, tried Vista = No GO.  AFTER calling MS I   told I needed to re-install vista and ALL my programs.

I setup Home Server to back up data AND to save time with a restore.  But restore is only effective if your hard drive or memory go bad.  If your MB goes you are FORCED to reinstall the OS and ALL programs.  So intead of being up and running in a jiffy I had to spend an entire day installing and then tracking down my data.  This might just be a problem with Vista, but it really defeats the advantage of a backup.
    My take: stay with XP, I could do a repair with sysprep and replace a motherboard, or do a repair...doesn't work in Vista!!!
    MS  This is a MAJOR problem. Vista should be able to look for new drivers for a new MB
     without a complete reinstall, otherwise RESTORE is WORTHLESS! 
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 9:30 PM

All replies

• If you stay within the same chipset and CPU family, the chances are good, that you can also reboot Vista.
    If not, it may be something trivial, like SATA controller was originally set to IDE compatibility and is set to AHCI or RAID in new board by default.
    Also Vistas startup repair from the DVD boot may help to get the system bootable again.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 11:23 PM