WHS 2011 Hard drive issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, 

I have been running WHS2011 for a couple of months now with out any issues. I have noticed over the last couple of days that my hdd activity light on the server has been constantly on, and the dashboard is reporting that one of more pre-defined server folders are missing. When I checked the drive info I found that the drive containing all the videos, music etc is missing. I then restarted the machine and it all seem to come up with out any issues. After reboot the hdd activity light was acting normal, but a couple of hours later it again started to light up constantly, sure enough a couple of minutes later I got the same error and the drive dropped off again. I have noticed that the error seems to occur around about 7 or 9pm. A couple of minutes before the light stays on there are events advising the following.

VailBackupAndTaskMonitor: Timer and monitoring stopped, too many errors

Faulting application name: WSSBackup.exe, version: 6.1.8800.16385, time stamp: 0x4d6ed362

Faulting module name: WSSBackup.exe, version: 6.1.8800.16385, time stamp: 0x4d6ed362

Exception code: 0xc0000025

Fault offset: 0x0000000000048893

Faulting process id: 0x744

Faulting application start time: 0x01cc4a8f3e157ece

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WSSBackup.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WSSBackup.exe

Report Id: a860707e-b69b-11e0-8ddb-002522983900

After these errors the drive then drops off and I get 

The device, \Device\Harddisk3\DR3, is not ready for access yet

and 

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort2.

When I saw the error with WSSbackup.exe I thought the error was backups and I disabled backups on the server, the other 2 client machines that are connected to the server have also had their backups disabled.

The next day after disabling the backups around the same time 650pm I noticed that the hdd activity light was one again on constantly so I logged on and saw the same type of errors in the event log, sure enough 10 minutes later the drive droped again.

The drive I am running that is having the issues is a Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166, The back up drive is pointed to another ST2000DL003-9VT166 drive.

The OS runs on a 1tb drive.

I run the below add ins 

AWIECO Driveinfo

AWIECO Remotelauncher

AWEICO Wake on Lan

Lights-Out

Snoop-De-Dupe

Any help would on possible causes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

• Moved by Ken Warren Monday, July 25, 2011 10:49 AM Vail question (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Monday, July 25, 2011 10:38 AM

All replies

• The device, \Device\Harddisk3\DR3, is not ready for access yet

and 

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort2.

Failing drive or failing controller. More likely the drive.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, July 25, 2011 10:49 AM
  • Thanks, I was thinking it would be something like that, just a little weird that it is happening at around the same time each night.

Monday, July 25, 2011 11:56 AM
  • If this problem is occurring on a Virtual Machine you should check to be sure that the "Virtual drive" files are located in a place where there is enough physical storage to meet or exceed the needs of the space required by Windows 2011. For example in VMWare you can create 1GB Virtual drive without pre-allocating all the disk space it starts out actually using only a fraction of the space and grows as required. This allows you to place the file on a disc which is actually smaller than the maximum size of the virtual disk. If a guest operating system attempts to write beyond the physical limits it is uncertain what sort of errors might present or how it will respond.

If this is not a virtual machine  then (I agree)  - you have a potential drive or controller problem. Try HDTune (http://www.hdtune.com/) - the free version has a quick test process which may help reveal the problem – your disk drive maker may also have some non-destructive tools for evaluating the drive.

Monday, July 25, 2011 3:54 PM