none
How can I move my post to another forum? RRS feed

• Question

• I got a referal to a different forum as a reply to my posted query. Can I move the post with some forum function, or must I copy and paste the text?

Price Buhrman

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 1:51 PM

Answers

• Only a moderator (or the forum owner) can move threads. If a moderator has not moved your question, it might be best if you just copy your question to the other forum. I see this often. You might mention this in the old thread, perhaps with a link to your new question, so people know that this happened.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 3:04 PM
  • The "chain link" icon in the forum editor is for inserting a hyperlink, or  converting a text string into a link:

The "broken link" icon next to it does the oposite, converts a hyperlink into a normal string.

• Marked as answer by BuhrmanP Monday, May 7, 2012 4:45 PM
    Sunday, May 6, 2012 10:17 PM

All replies

• Only a moderator (or the forum owner) can move threads. If a moderator has not moved your question, it might be best if you just copy your question to the other forum. I see this often. You might mention this in the old thread, perhaps with a link to your new question, so people know that this happened.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 3:04 PM
  • If you can also provide a link to your thread you need moved, perhaps a moderator will see it and move.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 4:39 PM
  • None of the tool buttons just above implement link insertion, so how do I do it?

Price Buhrman

Sunday, May 6, 2012 8:04 PM
  • The "chain link" icon in the forum editor is for inserting a hyperlink, or  converting a text string into a link:

The "broken link" icon next to it does the oposite, converts a hyperlink into a normal string.

• Marked as answer by BuhrmanP Monday, May 7, 2012 4:45 PM
    Sunday, May 6, 2012 10:17 PM
  • You can just post the link and in 90% it becomes a link automatically. If it doesn't, then press the link button (after you highlighted the link) or edit the message in HTML mode.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Monday, May 7, 2012 12:04 AM
  • >  If a moderator has not moved your question, it might be best if you just copy your question to the other forum. I see this often. You might mention this in the old thread, perhaps with a link to your new question, so people know that this happened.

I hate the order of this suggestion.

All that will happen is that the user follows the first part of the suggestion and posts the exact same question to a second forum while leaving the first thread just as it is. That is not good.

Saying in the second part of the suggestion that the user *might* mention this in the old thread, just isn't good enough. He *must* mention this in the old thread so that the discussion there stops.

Hence the suggestion should be in the following order:

a) say in the old thread that the discussion is closed here as I am re-posting the question in forum XXX

b) then post the question in the new forum giving the original text *along with the key points from all the answers already received there (or at least the URL of the old thread).

An addition to a) above, could also be to ask the moderator to delete the thread.

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters

Friday, May 18, 2012 12:30 PM