OneCare backup problem RRS feed

• Question

• Following my upgrade to OneCare 2.0 the backup utility fails to find my SATA connected backup harddrive.  The previous version of OneCare had no such problem.  2.0 sees my other external hard drives connected via USB.  Explorer continues to see the SATA drive.  Confusingly, 2.0 "says" that it defragged the SATA hard drive when it ran the first tune up.  Can any out there help to point me towards a solution to the mystery of the missing SATA drive?  Thanks.

-Eric

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 7:23 PM

Answers

• I believe OneCare 2.0 cannot backup to an eSATA drive as it looks like an internal drive. The workaround for this is to use Centralized backup and define a Share on the eSATA drive. Then configure centralized backup to use that Share.

-steve

Thursday, December 6, 2007 3:01 AM

All replies

• I believe OneCare 2.0 cannot backup to an eSATA drive as it looks like an internal drive. The workaround for this is to use Centralized backup and define a Share on the eSATA drive. Then configure centralized backup to use that Share.

-steve

Thursday, December 6, 2007 3:01 AM
  • Thanks Steve.  How does onedefine a share on the eSATA drive?  Via the sharing and security tab under properties for that drive?  I did that but didn't and tried to use centralized backup to find it but it didn't appear that anything had changed; i.e. I continued to see only the usb hard drives.
    -Eric
    Thursday, December 6, 2007 10:09 AM
  • When you set up the Centralized backup after creating the Share (create a shared folder on the eSATA drive, don't share the root) point the backup to the Network Share. Despite it being on the same PC, it is still a network Share. I don't have an eSATA drive to confirm this with, but the FAQ prepared by the backup PM during the beta, http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1924436&SiteID=2, indicated that this capability was added by the final release.

-steve

Thursday, December 6, 2007 6:43 PM
  • Thanks Steve and sorry to keep being a pest on this.  I created a shared folder on my eSATA drive.  But I don't see how to point OneCare to it as it seems to be looking for an entity whose nomenclature is along the lines of \\network\folder etc.  I.e., I go to change settings for my OneCare circle, click the backup tab, configure backup, use an existing device, add network location ..., browse to the eSATA drive and the shared folder, click OK and am told that "the network share name entered is invalid, please check the share name and try again".  Am I even close or have I gone down the wrong path altogether?

-Eric

Thursday, December 6, 2007 10:52 PM
  • Replying to myself: so I figured out that I can locate the shared folder in My Network Places and this then satisifies OneCare's requirement for network share name.  BUT! now OneCare says that this is not my current backup location.  Aarrgghh.  Do I have the option to change my current backup location from what it was?  I thought that's what I was doing when I identified the shared folder in My Network Places.  I am a long time PC user, fairly savvy, used to doing obvious work arounds but this one really has me stumped and frustrated.  This application is user unfriendly.  Not your fault of course.

Friday, December 7, 2007 1:22 AM
  • It sounds like you did everything correctly to set up the Share and point OneCare at it, but it also sounds like OneCare remembers the old setting instead. Changing the backup plan can be a bit tricky in OneCare 2.0 since there are several layers with the new Centralized backup feature. I think that you may have created an individual plan for the PC and you still have that enabled, but now you've created a Centralized backup plan which did not turn off the individual plan. If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll poke at it, but in the meantime, reach out to support - they may have better instructions available via an email response.

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If it fails to validate your subscription, select the option that you are using a trial or beta copy and you can proceed to email support without validation once you've signed in.

-steve

Friday, December 7, 2007 2:48 AM
  • Thanks again.  I'm into support as of yesterday and have already had some feedback.  For what it's worth I am guessing that a reinstall of OneCare will be the recommendation.  At this stage I find myself thinking about giving up on the backup feature altogether and going back to some simple dos basics a la xcopy;  I've gotten lazy but have always preferred 4 on the floor to automatic.  In any event I do appreciate your patience in putting up with this little saga.  It should be my worst problem.  Cheers,
    Eric
    Saturday, December 8, 2007 10:07 PM
  • Do let us know what transpires with support. Personally, I don't use the OneCare backup.  I actually use a variety of solutions including SyncToy, a free PowerToy from the Windows Photo team, that allows me to sync data between computers and drives on my network. I also use Acronis True Image to backup up the entire drive so that I can quickly do a bare metal restore. And, I'm awaiting the HP MediaSmart server from Amazon that will be running a production copy of Windows Home Server.

-steve

Monday, December 10, 2007 8:12 PM