locked
File Synchronisation to Windows Home Server from multiple PC's. RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    I have a network set up at home with a few PC's on it, all of which I have an account on and use at various time's.

    What I would like to do is this,

    I tend to surf the internet quite a lot from any one of my PC's and I'm constantly adding 'favourites' as and when I find a site or page that is of interest to me.
    The trouble is that I always find that a particular 'Favourite' I have saved may not be on the PC that I am currently using so I then have to remember what PC I have stored that 'Favourite' on.
    I want to be able to log on to any one PC and surf the net but when adding 'Favourites' on each seperate PC I want those 'Favourites' to be synchronised to my server so that they are available from any other PC that I may log on to.

    I have seen talk of a piece of software called 'SyncToy' so want to know if this would accomplish this task, or if not does anyone know a way to do this.

    I use a PC at work which is on a network linked to a main server and allows me to log on to any PC and have the same favourites available where ever I am, and I think I am correct in assuming that this feature is available due to the fact that the my logon account is controlled by the 'Active Directory' feature on the server - please correct me if I have this wrong ??

    Anyway, this is the feature I want to replicate on my home network with my Windows Home Server but I dont want to get deeply involved with learning 'Active Directory' just yet and I don't think WHS allows this feature anyway.

    Please let me have your opinion's on this and correct me where I may be wrong.

    Thanks in advance, Jason
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 3:07 PM

Answers

  • HARRYSPADGE said:

    Hi,

    I have a network set up at home with a few PC's on it, all of which I have an account on and use at various time's.

    What I would like to do is this,

    I tend to surf the internet quite a lot from any one of my PC's and I'm constantly adding 'favourites' as and when I find a site or page that is of interest to me.
    The trouble is that I always find that a particular 'Favourite' I have saved may not be on the PC that I am currently using so I then have to remember what PC I have stored that 'Favourite' on.
    I want to be able to log on to any one PC and surf the net but when adding 'Favourites' on each seperate PC I want those 'Favourites' to be synchronised to my server so that they are available from any other PC that I may log on to.

    I have seen talk of a piece of software called 'SyncToy' so want to know if this would accomplish this task, or if not does anyone know a way to do this.

    Any "copy" program will work (SyncToy, RoboCopy, etc).  All you have to do is have the copy app synchronize your Favorites folder on each PC to a centralized Favorites folder on your server.  (In Vista, you can even change the default location of your Favorites folder to somewhere other than C:\Users\%username%\Favorites.)  However, in XP, you would always have to browse to your Favorites folder on your server to open a favorite.

    HARRYSPADGE said:

    I use a PC at work which is on a network linked to a main server and allows me to log on to any PC and have the same favourites available where ever I am, and I think I am correct in assuming that this feature is available due to the fact that the my logon account is controlled by the 'Active Directory' feature on the server - please correct me if I have this wrong ??

    More accurately, it's called Roaming Profiles (which is only available in a domain).

    HARRYSPADGE said:

    Anyway, this is the feature I want to replicate on my home network with my Windows Home Server but I dont want to get deeply involved with learning 'Active Directory' just yet and I don't think WHS allows this feature anyway.

    That's correct.

    HARRYSPADGE said:

    Please let me have your opinion's on this and correct me where I may be wrong.

    Thanks in advance, Jason



    Saturday, February 14, 2009 4:09 PM
    Moderator
  • For your bookmarks (favourites), maybe Live Sync would be your cup of tea. Windows Live Sync

    Also it may be the solution in other cases too.

    Edit: Wrong URL.


    WHS on a P4@3.20 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 1.96 TB disk space (old info. must update...
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 6:20 PM
  • I've used Second Copy for years, and find it to be highly useful for syncing favorites & all my other personal data amongst 4 PCs and the WHS. 

    http://www.secondcopy.com/
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 7:15 PM

All replies

  • HARRYSPADGE said:

    Hi,

    I have a network set up at home with a few PC's on it, all of which I have an account on and use at various time's.

    What I would like to do is this,

    I tend to surf the internet quite a lot from any one of my PC's and I'm constantly adding 'favourites' as and when I find a site or page that is of interest to me.
    The trouble is that I always find that a particular 'Favourite' I have saved may not be on the PC that I am currently using so I then have to remember what PC I have stored that 'Favourite' on.
    I want to be able to log on to any one PC and surf the net but when adding 'Favourites' on each seperate PC I want those 'Favourites' to be synchronised to my server so that they are available from any other PC that I may log on to.

    I have seen talk of a piece of software called 'SyncToy' so want to know if this would accomplish this task, or if not does anyone know a way to do this.

    Any "copy" program will work (SyncToy, RoboCopy, etc).  All you have to do is have the copy app synchronize your Favorites folder on each PC to a centralized Favorites folder on your server.  (In Vista, you can even change the default location of your Favorites folder to somewhere other than C:\Users\%username%\Favorites.)  However, in XP, you would always have to browse to your Favorites folder on your server to open a favorite.

    HARRYSPADGE said:

    I use a PC at work which is on a network linked to a main server and allows me to log on to any PC and have the same favourites available where ever I am, and I think I am correct in assuming that this feature is available due to the fact that the my logon account is controlled by the 'Active Directory' feature on the server - please correct me if I have this wrong ??

    More accurately, it's called Roaming Profiles (which is only available in a domain).

    HARRYSPADGE said:

    Anyway, this is the feature I want to replicate on my home network with my Windows Home Server but I dont want to get deeply involved with learning 'Active Directory' just yet and I don't think WHS allows this feature anyway.

    That's correct.

    HARRYSPADGE said:

    Please let me have your opinion's on this and correct me where I may be wrong.

    Thanks in advance, Jason



    Saturday, February 14, 2009 4:09 PM
    Moderator
  • kariya21 said:

     
    Any "copy" program will work (SyncToy, RoboCopy, etc).  All you have to do is have the copy app synchronize your Favorites folder on each PC to a centralized Favorites folder on your server.  (In Vista, you can even change the default location of your Favorites folder to somewhere other than C:\Users\%username%\Favorites.)  However, in XP, you would always have to browse to your Favorites folder on your server to open a favorite.

     




    So as I am using mainly XP I cant just open the favourites from within IE, is there no other way to do it other than browsing for the 'Favourites' folder ?

    I haven't yet used SyncToy which is what I was going to test with, so do you have any experience with it yourself, and if so can you tell me if I am able to set it up so that it 'syncs' my folder's when I log off my PC, much like what happens with the 'Roaming profile' I use at work ?

    Thanks again.
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 4:20 PM
  • HARRYSPADGE said:

    So as I am using mainly XP I cant just open the favourites from within IE, is there no other way to do it other than browsing for the 'Favourites' folder ?

    It's possible, but it would require modifying the registry (not something I would recommend for the average user, and even then I wouldn't guarantee it would work).

    HARRYSPADGE said:

    I haven't yet used SyncToy which is what I was going to test with, so do you have any experience with it yourself, and if so can you tell me if I am able to set it up so that it 'syncs' my folder's when I log off my PC, much like what happens with the 'Roaming profile' I use at work ?

    Thanks again.



    No, I personally don't use any of those types of programs.  I don't know for sure if either of them work at the time when you log off.  However, it can be done by creating a batch file and having that batch file run when you log off (by adding that batch file to the Local Group Policy).
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 4:45 PM
    Moderator
  • For your bookmarks (favourites), maybe Live Sync would be your cup of tea. Windows Live Sync

    Also it may be the solution in other cases too.

    Edit: Wrong URL.


    WHS on a P4@3.20 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 1.96 TB disk space (old info. must update...
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 6:20 PM
  • I've used Second Copy for years, and find it to be highly useful for syncing favorites & all my other personal data amongst 4 PCs and the WHS. 

    http://www.secondcopy.com/
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 7:15 PM