Mail merge & invoices?? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Is it possible to use mail merge to print invoices?

The mail merge button is present at quotes, but not on the order and invoice entity....

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 7:22 PM

Answers

• Hi.

When it comes to Mail Merge the Quote entity is a special case. Microsoft uses the quote mail merge feature internally regardless of the fact that the quote is not enabled for mail merge in the customizations.

The Lead, Opportunity, Contact, Account and all custom entities have an IsMailMergeEnabled Flag set to 1.

This creates a "virtual" entry in the templatetypecode attribute in the mailmergetemplate entity and puts the Mail Merge Icon on the grid for you.

If you navigate to the mailmergetemplate templatetypecode attribute you will only see the Quote attribute inside the picklist.

If you try to add the Invoice for example with the value of 1090 (invoice object type code) you get an error indicating the value must be greater then 200000.

I added the IsMailMergeEnabled Attribute to the Invoice Imported the customizations back to CRM and published but the import wipes out this tag.

So unless anyone else has another idea I'd say this is not supported.

Hope this helps,

Adi

Thursday, March 13, 2008 12:17 AM

All replies

• Hi Pål-André,

it don't think mail merge is available for orders or invoices. You may want to try couple alternatives:
    1. http://www.mscrm-addons.com - user-friendly inexpesive very flexible mail merge addon.
    2. http://crm.georged.id.au/post/2008/01/18/Poor-man-mail-merge.aspx - requires some skills, has some limitations, free.
    Hope this helps
    George

Thursday, March 13, 2008 12:14 AM
  • Hi.

When it comes to Mail Merge the Quote entity is a special case. Microsoft uses the quote mail merge feature internally regardless of the fact that the quote is not enabled for mail merge in the customizations.

The Lead, Opportunity, Contact, Account and all custom entities have an IsMailMergeEnabled Flag set to 1.

This creates a "virtual" entry in the templatetypecode attribute in the mailmergetemplate entity and puts the Mail Merge Icon on the grid for you.

If you navigate to the mailmergetemplate templatetypecode attribute you will only see the Quote attribute inside the picklist.

If you try to add the Invoice for example with the value of 1090 (invoice object type code) you get an error indicating the value must be greater then 200000.

I added the IsMailMergeEnabled Attribute to the Invoice Imported the customizations back to CRM and published but the import wipes out this tag.

So unless anyone else has another idea I'd say this is not supported.

Hope this helps,

Adi

Thursday, March 13, 2008 12:17 AM