Re installing Live oneCare RRS feed

• Question

• I turned my computer on this evening and got a red alert that an upgrade wouldn't download. I went to the help pages and worked through the suggestions to no avail and so decided to uninstall and re install it as suggested. The uninstall and the Clean up seemed to go OK but when I tried to re install by downloading the 90 day Trial as instructed I get the window -

File Download Security Warning.

So you want to save this file or open it?

Name  Setup OneCare

Type Unknown File Type 1.18 MB

From iorigin.onecare.live.com

FIND   SAVE   CANCELL

If I select FIND it takes me to a page explaning that this is a MIME program etc. This is a dead end for me as I haven't a clue what they're talking about and can't see how it's any help at all.

So I selected SAVE and a file was saved called Setup One Care.

I open the file and I get the message -

Choose the program you want to open this file.

I've seen this window before and never have discovered what to do with it. There never appears to be a suitable program to open the file with and I get the feeling something has gone wrong and I should be getting a download of some kind.

Meanwhile no Live OneCare so no Firewall etc.

Does anyone know what I've done wrong or how I go about getting Live OneCare back again?

Any help appreciated

Friday, February 1, 2008 6:38 PM

Answers

• I had a similar thing happen when I tried to download the same file.  The solution is to click "save" and then add ".exe" (don't forget the dot) to the end of the file name.  Save the file to your desktop and run it manually (double click on it).

I hope that helps.

-Patrick

Friday, February 1, 2008 6:56 PM

All replies

• I had a similar thing happen when I tried to download the same file.  The solution is to click "save" and then add ".exe" (don't forget the dot) to the end of the file name.  Save the file to your desktop and run it manually (double click on it).

I hope that helps.

-Patrick

Friday, February 1, 2008 6:56 PM
  • Thank you Patrick your a genius. It worked a treat. Now why didn't Microsoft think of that?

Friday, February 1, 2008 7:17 PM
  • You're too kind.  I think it is a simple error with the naming of the file for download - somebody overlooked the extension.  I happen to run my system with "show extensions" on and noticed that the file didn't have one, so I guessed it would be either .exe or .msi. 

Good luck!

-Patrick

Friday, February 1, 2008 7:38 PM
  • Thanks, Patrick. There was a problem with the download earlier today that has since been fixed.

-steve

Saturday, February 2, 2008 2:32 AM