Acer H340 disk with folder duplication failed, but unable to recover or mstsc to box RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have an Acer H340 which has 3 disks: 1TB stock OS disk, 650GB data disk (D1) and 808GB data disk (D2). I have disks D1 and D2 setup as a unified drive with folder duplication. One day the server was physically moved inadvertently, and some time after it kept running I noticed that D1's light was magenta (not sure how long it had been on). At this point, I powered down the OS and moved it over to my study to take a closer look and attempt a recovery if possible.

When I turned it back on, none of the disk lights came back on and I was unable to connect to it. As a result I had to do a hard shutdown (hold down Power for 5 seconds). The only way I could get it to boot up completely was to remove the two data drives D1 and D2 and then boot up. After boot up, I can login (via mstsc or the WHS connector) to the server as long as I do not add either of the data drives back in. But when I add either or both of D1 and D2 back in, their lights do not come back on and then neither mstsc (I get a desktop background but login never happens) nor the WHS connector work. I am able to connect to my server by going to \\server, and the shares and all the files show up in directory listings, but any file that I attempt to access is indicated to have been corrupted. Note that through all of this, the 'i' stays a solid red.

Help! I'm not sure what my options are to recover my data. any help is appreciated.

[Update] I wanted to add that restarting the server with only one of the data disks (D2) causes the OS to boot up, but one of the disk lights come on, and I get spammed with "The storage utilization has exceeded 75 % for more than 3 minute(s)." emails.

Thanks!

Friday, October 15, 2010 3:59 AM

All replies

• Have you contacted Acer? It sounds like you have a hardware problem, possibly with one of your drives, possibly with the disk controller on the motherboard in your server.

As for recovering data, see this FAQ.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, October 16, 2010 4:00 PM