MS WHS question(s) RRS feed

• Question

• I'm sure most of this information has been answered at some point, but nothing is coming back on some of my searches. I'm looking into a Home Media server (The HP server is currently the front runner) that would met the following:

-  Ability to backup DVDs,and have the ability to play them back on any network connected device.

-  Ability to play to multiple devices at one time ( i.e PS3 and blu-ray player in different sections of the house stream the same DVD)? I can seem to find any details on if this is capable.

-  What is the user interface like for the DVD library, or is it it based upon the device? Or do I  just connect via HTTP from PC?

Any guidance anyone can give on researching Home Media servers would be appreciated, I'm looking to purchase one versus build it as I don't have much spare time right now.

>mike

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 3:28 PM

All replies

• None of the OEM servers ship with the features you're looking for, I'm afraid. Windows Home Server is designed to store data, which can then be accessed from other devices via shares or the built-in streaming functionality, but it's not a "media server" as you mean the term, it's a file server. DVD ripping, in particular, is not going to be supported without additional software, and none of the OEM units are going to have an optical drive in any case.

So to answer your specific questions:

• OEM units don't have an optical drive, so there's no way to rip DVDs.
    • This is supported through streaming software built in to Windows Home Server, or software added by OEMs or end users. The specifics are different for different implementation, but in general streaming capacity is going to depend on hardware (both server and playback device) and network performance.
    • There is no user interface such as you're looking for. The individual devices accessing the server will present their own user interfaces.

For researching media servers, and media in general, start with The Green Button, AVS Forum, and/or Home Theater Forum.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 4:43 PM