WHS 2011 Remote Web Access (At a loss) RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys,

Let me begin by saying that before posting I have done an exhaustive search trying to get  XXXX.homeserver.com working.

Here's the facts:

1. I can access my server (WHS 2011) from any computer in the house via launchpad/dashboard on the local network without issue. The network is all gigabit and super quick and efficient. Zero problems.

2. I have a WD My Book Live (3TB NAS) that I can access via the internet without port forwarding or uPnP enabled on my router (Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH). I've confirmed this by logging on with my iPad using 3G. I even went as far as deleting access, changing router settings around, and then adding access again to the iPad. Everything worked like a charm. The WD My Book Live uses ports 80 and 443 (surprise surprise).

3. I have tried uPnP, port forwarding, disabling windows firewall, DMZ, adding firewall exceptions, changing ports around (in case ISP is blocking), and even plugging the server directly into the wall. My internet connects directly to an ethernet port in the wall and I dial in with PPPoE. No matter what, the server will say that something is blocking server access or uPnP is disabled on my router (which is true if I have disabled it). Furthermore, my router is, according to MS's list, compatible with uPnP, and yet it fails everytime.

4. I read on some forums that after registering a .homeserver domain that there was some validation taking place with MS DNS, or something to that effect. They showed screenshots, but after logging in to Windows Live I couldn't find that information.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Should I just shoot for a reinstall of WHS 2011?

Saturday, May 5, 2012 3:36 PM

Answers

• The good news is that your ISP isn't blocking ports 80 and 443.

The bad news is that you have to decide between your WD My Book or your WHS2011 for remote access. You only have 1 external IP address and both appliances use the same ports. So you must make a choice here unless you change the default ports of WHS2011. I would propose to disconnect your WD from the Internet and try again with your WHS.

Luc.

• Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Saturday, May 5, 2012 5:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by linsen4tw Friday, August 17, 2012 12:31 PM
    Saturday, May 5, 2012 4:47 PM

All replies

• Oh, forgot to add.

I can ping my server by using xxxxd.homeserver.com, but not with http:// or https:// and it returns the ping with my external server ip address.

Saturday, May 5, 2012 3:40 PM
  • The good news is that your ISP isn't blocking ports 80 and 443.

The bad news is that you have to decide between your WD My Book or your WHS2011 for remote access. You only have 1 external IP address and both appliances use the same ports. So you must make a choice here unless you change the default ports of WHS2011. I would propose to disconnect your WD from the Internet and try again with your WHS.

Luc.

• Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Saturday, May 5, 2012 5:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by linsen4tw Friday, August 17, 2012 12:31 PM
    Saturday, May 5, 2012 4:47 PM
  • LucTH,

Thanks for the reply. Well, I've since played around with the WD My Book Live only to find out that I was making a relay connection and not a direct connection to the My Book. This, according to WD, is done in the event that the ports aren't forwarded from my router. They were forwarded manually before I changed all the settings in the router for the Home Server, but I never looked to see if I was connecting directly or not.

In the even that I was establishing a relay connection, could that be done if the ports are blocked by the ISP? Or do they use different ports?

Today when I have the time, I will call my ISP to see if they are blocking ports, and I will give the server a try with the My Book Live remote access disabled. I'll also try out my old 10/100 Tp-Link and see if that works.

It's such a shame too, cause I'm really liking Home Server. I live in Beijing, and I wanted to setup remote access to share pictures with my family back in the States, which worked like a charm on the My Book Live (possibly as a result of relayed connection?).

Thanks again.

Sunday, May 6, 2012 1:33 AM
  • To check if ports are blocked, go to

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Click Proceed (After reading, of course)

Then click on "Common Ports."

This will let you know if ports 80 and 443 are open or being blocked.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust
    : Thanks for the reply. Well, I've since played around with the WD My Book Live only to find out that I was making a relay connection and not a direct connection to the My Book. This, according to WD, is done in the event that the ports aren't forwarded from my router. They were forwarded manually before I changed all the settings in the router for the Home Server, but I never looked to see if I was connecting directly or not.
    :
    : In the even that I was establishing a relay connection, could that be done if the ports are blocked by the ISP? Or do they use different ports?
    :
    : Today when I have the time, I will call my ISP to see if they are blocking ports, and I will give the server a try with the My Book Live remote access disabled. I'll also try out my old 10/100 Tp-Link and see if that works.
    :
    : It's such a shame too, cause I'm really liking Home Server. I live in Beijing, and I wanted to setup remote access to share pictures with my family back in the States, which worked like a charm on the My Book Live (possibly as a result of relayed connection?).
    :
    : Thanks again.
    :

BullDawg
    Sunday, May 6, 2012 3:37 AM
  • Bypassed the router and connected my desktop directly to the broadband. All of the common ports are stealthed.

Called my ISP, and I'm waiting on the tech staff to call me back. Dealing with a Chinese ISP in Chinese is not easy. =(

Sunday, May 6, 2012 7:16 AM
  • That is normal.  Reconnect the router, forward ports 80, and 443 per router instructions, or let WHS attempt it through the remote access setup with UPnP and then check your ports again.  It is normally your router that opens the ports unless they are blocked by your ISP.

This wiki will give you some good advice on how to manually set things up.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/922.windows-home-server-router-setup.aspx

BullDawg
    In God We Trust
    : Called my ISP, and I'm waiting on the tech staff to call me back. Dealing with a Chinese ISP in Chinese is not easy. =(
    :
    :
    :

BullDawg
    Sunday, May 6, 2012 10:07 AM
  • Bulldawg, in bypassing the router, he removed it from the equation. "Stealthed" ports at that point ate being blocked somewhere else; without the router there's no firewall between him and his ISP unless his broadband modem has a router built in (possible) so all ports would be "Open" or "Closed".

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Sunday, May 6, 2012 11:42 AM
  • Still haven't heard from the ISP, I guess they will call tomorrow. I gave them my IP address, and they said they would look into it. The woman who answered the phone had no idea what WHS was, nor why I would need to open any ports. In her defense, she was just some girl answering the phones. She kept asking me if there was something wrong with my internet, and I had to ensure her that there was nothing "wrong" by her definition.

I forwarded the ports on the router for my desktop, and I'm still getting "stealthed". I don't have a modem. I live in Beijing, so companies tend to offer service to an entire community. Basically, all of the apartments in these buildings use the same service, so our cables just plug into the wall then we connect over PPPoE. I only got the 4mb connection over a year ago, but now they are offering 10 and 12mb connections.

I've basically tried everything that I can. Until I here from the ISP, I won't know for certain.

I think that they just do funky things with their internet service. For example, if I am downloading anything domestically I get max speeds. That includes streaming video. If I connect through a VPN (so I can watch Youtube), I get really good speeds. It caps at 350KB/s with Youtube, but it's enough. Torrents run in the range of 350-650KB/s, but lately I've been experiencing situations where one torrent will connect, but the rest will sit as if there's no seeders/leechers. It will all say 0, but one torrent will be cruising along. If I drop in my 3G card, everything lights up, so it must be the ISP throttling or blocking ports.

I'll be moving soon, so I'm going to approach my new potential ISPs like it's only a date. =)

Sunday, May 6, 2012 12:27 PM
  • Okay, my bad, had a senior moment.  I know he wrote stealthed, but my mind understood open and that's why I told him to put his router back on line. If he was open, then he was unprotected and it only takes seconds to get hacked in this part of the world. My router log shows 2 to 3 blocked packets every second here in Korea and they come from all over the globe.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust
    : Bulldawg, in bypassing the router, he removed it from the equation. "Stealthed" ports at that point ate being blocked somewhere else; without the router there's no firewall between him and his ISP unless his broadband modem has a router built in (possible) so all ports would be "Open" or "Closed".
    :
    : -- : I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    :

BullDawg
    Sunday, May 6, 2012 1:08 PM
  • Hi linsen4tw,

Thanks for posting here.

You just mentioned that we connect to internet through PPPoE , so basically we should have a modem device in front our EDGE router of our WHS network and the edge router should has no internet address obtained ? am I correct ?

Internet-------ISP modem(PPPoE)--------WHS EDGE Router-----------WHS Internal network

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Tiger Li

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 11:29 AM
  • Tiger Li,

Sorry, but I'm not familiar with an "EDGE router". My network setup looks like this:

Wall Socket ----> Router (Connects via PPPoE) ---> WHS, Laptops, Desktops, PS3 and everything else...

Thanks.

L

Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:39 AM
  • Sorry, but I'm not familiar with an "EDGE router". 

"EDGE router" = router on the edge of your network. Another word for it is "gateway".

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Thursday, May 10, 2012 10:39 AM
  • Ah, I see. Never heard it described as EDGE router before. I still don't understand what he was getting at though.

I'm off today, so I am going to play with WHS a bit more and see if I can't redirect ports 80 and 443 to bypass the ISP port blocking.

Friday, May 11, 2012 2:19 AM
  • Well, I tried changing the ports on the server IIS to 8080 for port 80 and 8090 for port 443. I added inbound and outbound exclusions in the server's firewall. I also forwarded these ports on the router. No dice.

I am out of town and working for the next few days, and it's killing me. I'm really not sure what else to do, but I have a few questions while I sit and seethe:

1. Would changing my servers' DNS to Google's public DNS make any difference (really reaching here)?
    2. Would forwarding an external port (via the router) to internal ports 80 and 443 have any different effect?
    3. Should I try higher port numbers (in the torrent range even)?
    4. Is network discovery on by default on the server? Would that be a reason that uPnP isn't working on the router? I never checked this, but I came across a topic on this on another forum. But I am thinking it is on,because my other computers could acces the server via dashboard.
    5. Should I just give up and revert back to Win7 HTPC/file server and give up on remote access? (my only selling point for WHS 2011).

Thanks all for the help so far.
    Saturday, May 12, 2012 12:08 AM
  • I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped out in this thread. It turned out that it was an ISP issue. I've since moved into a new place and am using China Unicom as an ISP and they are AMAZING. They don't block any ports and the speeds are incredible.

Apparently, China Unicom and China Telecom (being monopolies on communications here) have the only direct communications lines domestically and internationally. The ISP that I was using was buying bandwidth from them and reselling it to unsuspecting customers, essentially providing advertised speeds for domestic traffic but destroying international traffic as well as blocking ports.

I'm eXtremely satisfied with WHS!

Thanks again.

Friday, August 17, 2012 12:35 PM