DNS Diagnostic failed RRS feed

• Question

• Im studying for 70-291 using MS press book. Chapter 5 has me installing AD, when the installation gets to the DNS Diagnostic, it fails. It says: The DNS zone authoritative for the domain domain1.local cannot be updated because it is the DNS root zone.

I followed the instructions so far through the book. Can somebody help?

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 3:55 PM

Answers

• Please removed the DNS role from the server and then install Active Directory. During the AD install you will be prompted to add the DNS role at which point you should agree to let the AD install add and configure the DNS role.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 10:27 PM

All replies

• Please removed the DNS role from the server and then install Active Directory. During the AD install you will be prompted to add the DNS role at which point you should agree to let the AD install add and configure the DNS role.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 10:27 PM
  • Thanks Jeff. Tried that this morning just before reading this.

I kept trying to recreate the scenario exactly as the book describes. First install the DNS then install AD, every time it failed. Is there a reason for it failing or maybe something i missed?

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 8:16 AM
  • I will have a read if that exercise tomorrow to see if I can figure out what's going on.

Jeff Wharton

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 12:40 PM