Changing Product Key RRS feed

• Question

• About a month ago, I had to replace my mainboard and the repair shop said they will have to reinstall Windows.
    I have the COA sticker on my PC so I assumed they would reinstall with the same product key. But it turns out that they used a different one, which doesn't validate.
    So I tried to change the product key using the Windows product key update tool; but I got the following error message:
    "The product key entered is not valid key for this system."

The sticker on PC says: Windows XP Professional OEM Software. Which is also the one they installed.
    System info displayes: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3

So why is the key invalid for this system?
    What can I do to change the key (other than reinstalling Windows)?
    Also could you tell me if it was really necessary to reinstall Windows when they changed the mainboard? (I'm thinking of asking for a refund of the service fee for all the problems they caused)

Any help will be appreciated :)

Here's the info I copied from diagnostics tool:

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0011.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Validation Code: 3

Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-GH28R-PTHKH-98PWP
    Windows Product Key Hash: QNkbC9Ee1BMho2KXQFqrGSjXovM=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-649-7456123-23071
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {D196FC8A-112B-4677-BF68-63DE35760784}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.9.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-604-645_025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{D196FC8A-112B-4677-BF68-63DE35760784}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0011.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-98PWP</PKey><PID>55274-649-7456123-23071</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1214440339-1592454029-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD</Manufacturer><Model>MS-7380</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>V1.2</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="5"/><Date>20080711000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>14A23AF70184C078</HWID><UserLCID>041F</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GTB Standard Time(GMT+02:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 13C44:GENUINE C&C INC
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Saturday, December 12, 2009 9:39 PM

Answers

• Hello sinnee,

The Product Key Updater Utility was developed for the specific purpose of changing the Product Key of nongenuine installations of XP to the Genuine Product Key for the same edition of Windows as found on the computer's Certificate of Authenticity.

The error you describe is encountered when the Windows editions do not match, for example, if you are trying to update a nongenuine XP Pro installation using a Genuine XP Home or Media Center or Tablet Edition Product Key.  If the CoA sticker is for XP Pro, and is a genuine CoA, I have no explanation for why you are seeing that error message because it is supposed to work.

There is only one solution for when the PK Updater does not work, and that is to do it the old-fashioned way, a clean installation.

And IMHO, you are justified by demanding that the shop refund the service fee, if for no other reason than they installed a pirated copy of XP onto your computer.  Threaten them with filing a piracy report at www.microsoft.com/piracy, maybe that'll shake loose your service fee :-)

[Unless, of course, there was a reason why they could not use your PK on your CoA....]

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by sinnee Sunday, December 13, 2009 12:45 AM
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 9:51 PM

All replies

• Hello sinnee,

The Product Key Updater Utility was developed for the specific purpose of changing the Product Key of nongenuine installations of XP to the Genuine Product Key for the same edition of Windows as found on the computer's Certificate of Authenticity.

The error you describe is encountered when the Windows editions do not match, for example, if you are trying to update a nongenuine XP Pro installation using a Genuine XP Home or Media Center or Tablet Edition Product Key.  If the CoA sticker is for XP Pro, and is a genuine CoA, I have no explanation for why you are seeing that error message because it is supposed to work.

There is only one solution for when the PK Updater does not work, and that is to do it the old-fashioned way, a clean installation.

And IMHO, you are justified by demanding that the shop refund the service fee, if for no other reason than they installed a pirated copy of XP onto your computer.  Threaten them with filing a piracy report at www.microsoft.com/piracy, maybe that'll shake loose your service fee :-)

[Unless, of course, there was a reason why they could not use your PK on your CoA....]

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by sinnee Sunday, December 13, 2009 12:45 AM
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 9:51 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

About the COA, I'm pretty sure its genuine because I had no problem validating it for the first installation. I also checked Microsoft help on COA, and mine looks very much like the sample pictures there.

Do the XP versions vary for different licence types?
    or would any XP Pro key work with any XP Pro CD?

I'm gonna try the customer support line on monday. Thanks again for the help.

Saturday, December 12, 2009 10:22 PM