Expiry? RRS feed

• Question

• I can't find any information on when the beta software stops working... has that been announced?
    Monday, April 26, 2010 9:11 PM

Answers

• Both of my Vail Servers are reporting January 10, 2011 as the expiration date.

You can find the expiration date by going to your server and pressing Winkey-R and then typing 'winver' (no quotes) and pressing enter.

-Tom

http://www.tomontech.com
    Monday, April 26, 2010 10:09 PM

All replies

• Both of my Vail Servers are reporting January 10, 2011 as the expiration date.

You can find the expiration date by going to your server and pressing Winkey-R and then typing 'winver' (no quotes) and pressing enter.

-Tom

http://www.tomontech.com
    Monday, April 26, 2010 10:09 PM
  • Possibly 120 days if you request and install a product key. I haven't tried to find out for sure...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, April 26, 2010 10:13 PM
  • No product key is used for Vail.
    --
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 10:39 AM
    --

My bad - though it's not need for installation you do need one to activate Vail.
    --
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 11:06 AM
    While the Vail bits will continue to operate without a product key beyond the usual 30 day activation period (at least for a while; I haven't tried to push it), you will get the usual activation prompts and "non-genuine Windows" warnings if you continue without activation. These warnings will, among other things, make the Dashboard very annoying because they will appear every time you open it.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 12:36 PM
  • As Ken says the server will start prompting for product key after 30 days.
    Developer
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 11:26 PM
  • This is conerning to me. Will Microsoft extend the license before they release the next refresh?
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 2:12 PM
  • This is conerning to me. Will Microsoft extend the license before they release the next refresh?
    No. See Jonas' post a little while ago.
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 1:09 AM