locked
Backup stalls at 37% RRS feed

  • Question

  • I first had this problem with CTP and reported it then.  It was marked fixed, but it still seems to be an issue with RC1.  Basically, one of our XP machines never successfully gets back up.  I was only able to get it started once and it stalled at 37% reorganizing data on server.

    The client TALQ is 354778088, the server is 354778415.

    I'd be very appreciative of any advice.  Thanks.

    Tuesday, July 3, 2007 10:33 PM

All replies

  • Exactly  the same problem here, got two drives that i want i backup on.
    It succeeds on the first backup, but the next time it always fail at the second drive, stalling at 49%.

    CAB: 354926644
    OS: Vista Ult.
    Wednesday, July 4, 2007 2:57 PM
  • I also have the same problem.  Two computers, each with a two drive set up (OS on one drive (C: ), Data/Music/Pics on a RAID 1 SATA drive set-up).  One computer backed up successfully the first time and now stalls at 49% back up (says "C: reorganizing data on the server") and will never progresses further.  2nd computer never successfully backed up, same stall and error.  Looking at the backup details in the WHS console, shows that C: drive is complete, but the other drive doesn't have a letter and says "Failed" as status.  Failure Details reads "No Failure Occurred or No Reason for the Failure was reported". 

     

    One computer runs Vista Ultimate 32-bit, the other runs Vista Premium 32-Bit.

    Friday, July 6, 2007 12:41 PM
  • Welcome to the club!
    I've submitted a few CAB's for this same issue.  Mine usually stalls at either 49% or 74%.  I've discovered that completely wiping the PC's from the WHS and removing all history of backups will help for one full backup and then the problem shows it's face again.

    I've had a few network issues this week so I've made some changes and will let you know if I've had any luck resolving the issue.

    Jason
    Friday, July 6, 2007 1:51 PM
  • Jason, 

     

    Any luck resolving the issues?  I posted as a CAB and the answer is that's its been reported and we're working on it, but no other response yet.

     

    tfitzy

    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 10:25 PM
  • See my post here:  http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1846893&SiteID=50

     

    I'm not 100% sure that this will resolve it for everyone, but here is what I did:

     

    Uninstalled WHS Client from all PC's

    Cleaned out backups on the WHS Server. (follow the guide in the forums for corrupt backup database)

    Reinstalled the WHS Client

    Did a manual 'backup configuration'

    Selected folders on the root of each drive that were labeled as 'unknown' and marked them to be skipped by the backup.

     

    So far I've gone 4 days with no backup issues.

     

    I'm stating it is a work around because I'm not sure what is causing the idnentification of these folders as 'unknown'.  But I usually had between 2-4 on each drive.  Some were labeled as empty and others had 1-2MB of data in them.  I'm guessing the fact that there were multiple 'unknowns' may be what was botching up the backup since you can't have multiple folders with the same name in the same directory.

    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 11:16 PM
  • FirstTimeCaller,

     

    Check you Link Speed setting on you network card, it should be set to Auto Detect.  I had the same issue on one of my computers and since changing this setting my backups have not failed.

    Friday, July 13, 2007 11:44 AM
  • 5 days now with no backup failures on all PC's.  However I tried an experiment last night and if I redo the backup config and do NOT exclude the 'unknown' directories, I can get the backup to fail the 2nd time through.
    Friday, July 13, 2007 1:41 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion.  I did verify that the network connection was set to Auto Negotiate the speed.

    Friday, July 13, 2007 4:48 PM
  •  Jlohrenz wrote:

    Selected folders on the root of each drive that were labeled as 'unknown' and marked them to be skipped by the backup.

    Interestingly, it won't allow me to select an folders for exclusion.  It doesn't do anything when I click on the + to expand the root folder (I even waited a few minutes).  So I can't try this workaround.


    Friday, July 13, 2007 5:05 PM
  • I had two computers out of three that kept stalling also.  I checked the one that consistantly works, and there were no "unknown" folders.  The two that were having problems both had several "unknown" folders.  I excluded those, and I'm trying again.

    I'll keep everyone posted.

    Also, I verified the network speed negotiation and everything was already set at "Auto".
    Thursday, August 2, 2007 6:08 AM
  • I haven't had any problems since I posted this...so I'm guessing it is one of two things that I did:

    1.  My server was using the on-board network card, and for giggles I changed it to a dedicated NIC (I doubt this did it)
    2.  Those 'unknown' folders
    Thursday, August 2, 2007 4:38 PM