none
change layout

Question

• how do i change how a thread is displayed?

Many of the comments in longer threads just keep getting thinner and thinner, very quickly becoming ridiculously thin - only a few words per line. this is making these forums a seriously unpleasent experience.

Wheres the settings to make the forum look like everyone else's forums?

If I am all here, does that mean I am not all there?

Thursday, August 14, 2014 9:05 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

You can turn off threaded view by clicking on the Quick Access dropdown (upper left, under the 'Ask a question' button) and selecting 'My settings'. You can then change the thread display from there. Word of caution though - My Settings eats any/all HTML in your signature.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 12,950+ strong and growing)

• Proposed as answer by Just Karl Thursday, August 14, 2014 2:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by BigJonMX Monday, August 18, 2014 2:57 PM
    Thursday, August 14, 2014 1:16 PM
  • how do i change how a thread is displayed?

Many of the comments in longer threads just keep getting thinner and thinner, very quickly becoming ridiculously thin - only a few words per line. this is making these forums a seriously unpleasent experience.

Yes, although I and others agitated for threaded view many years ago, the actual implementation is unworkable (for the reason you state), so I never use it.

I think a much better scheme would be what is done in the "Answers" forums: each post has a line "In reply to ..." that indicates which post is being replied to.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

• Edited by davewilk Friday, August 15, 2014 1:03 AM typo
    Thursday, August 14, 2014 3:31 PM