Bigger main hard drive, or smaller? RRS feed

• Question

• I currently just got my whs setup. Right now it's main drive is a 3 year old 80 gig drive. I am getting a 500 gig very soon. The server box I am using is an older computer with only 1 3.5" slot for a hard drive.

I was wondering if you think it would be better to put the 500 gig internally and swap the 80 gig to an external enclosure, or just leave the 80 gig in there and put the 500 gig on the out side. Also is there an easy way to swap the 80 for the 500 with out loosing data.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 3:22 PM

Answers

• There is no supported method of swapping the drives, such as by ghosting the 80 GB to the 500 GB. Other users have done it with no ill effects, but you're pretty much on your own if things go poorly.

I would definitely recommend making the 500 GB drive the system drive, though. And I'd recommend getting at least one more, preferably two, so that you can enable share duplication. Install your drives internally if at all possible; I've not had good luck with the long-term reliability of external drives that are left powered up 24x7, and USB drives in the storage pool can be problematic if they spin down to save power.
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 3:54 PM