how to install a genuine W7 on a PC with a non-genuine copy RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to fix a mate's PC.  It came with Vista 2 years ago.  He put on a non-genuine copy of Windows 7 Ultimate.  He's now got a genuine copy of W7 Home premium - upgrade version.

I tried the easy option - put the correct product key in and hope Windows would just disable the Ultimate options (which he doesn't use). But no joy, well it was a vain hope really.

So, now I'm trying to use setup.exe on the DVD (64bit) and reinstall from scratch. 

However, the DVD drive won't recognise the Windows 7 (genuine Home premium) setup disk. I tried the 64 and 32bit disks.  Neither works, you can't see any files, and Windows Explorer can't see any files.  going to cmd and typing E: in DOS bring up a message that the file system is unreadable or corrupted.

I checked the disks on another PC and they are fine. 

I checked some other DVDs on this PC and they work fine.

So, has the fact that this isnt a genuine copy somehow disabling the DVD reader?

I've also tried booting from the setup DVD, but it doesn't work

The laptop came with Vista pre-installed, the lad doesn't have a setup disk.

is there something I can tweak? I want to avoid formatting the PC from scratch, but if I had to could I use my copy of Windows7 setup disks (which aren't upgrade, just full install) and his validation key?

Sunday, December 12, 2010 8:11 PM

Answers

• First of all. you cannot install a genuine copy of Windows 7 over a non-genuine copy of Windows 7.  Also, you cannot use an upgrade version of Windows 7 without having a qualifying genuine copy of Windows XP or Vista installed.  All you can do is purchase a genuine "Full Version" edition of Windows 7 and perform a "clean install".  Again, upgrade versions of Windows 7 are only valid if you already have a "genuine" copy of Windows installed.
    Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, December 13, 2010 11:23 PM
    Sunday, December 12, 2010 10:02 PM