Microsoft Student Select Software RRS feed

• Question

• this really may not be the right place to ask this but im not sure where else to try:

I'm confident my XP professional install is not a genuine product. my computer was built for me by my friend. I'd like to get genuine - I'm a student in new zealand and can get an xp upgrade through the microsoft student select program (id prefer to do it that way because i can get it cheaper than retail). Is an upgrade CD sufficient to make windows genuine?

any help would be appreciated
    thanks
    Friday, September 7, 2007 8:03 AM

Answers

• You would need a "full version", and not an "upgrade version", of Windows XP Professional.  The most economical way to "get genuine" is to purchase the WGA kit.

In order to resolve your non-genuine licensing issue, please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, click on the Get Genuine button which will provide information on how to acquire a WGA Kit.

Friday, September 7, 2007 1:27 PM
  • Thank you carey

alright two things then:
    1. Do you know (or someone else maybe) if microsoft offers a discount to students on the "get genuine" price? they kindy offer us discounts when it is brought first hand after all.

and 2. more importantly - if i click to buy the get genuine offer, what happens then? Will a genuine windows CD be shipped out to me?

cheers
    Friday, September 7, 2007 2:40 PM
  • thank carey.
    you've really been helpful!!

After some more research i am considering an OEM version of Vista Home
    my understanding is the OEM versions are intended for manufacturers to preinstall on machines before they are shipped, but that they can be legitimately brought and installed on a home built machine as well.

OEM versions can only be installed as a clean install - not an upgrade (do you need to reformat the machine first or will that happen automatically?).
    OEM versions are tied to one particular machine (motherboard?) and once that machine is defunct the OEM licence is void.
    There is no technical support from microsoft for OEM software.
    OEM software cannot be upgraded.
    You can continue to upgrade hardware such as ram, cpu, harddrive

is this a reasonably accurate understanding of the end user agreement?
    Im wanting to reformat my machine anyway so this seems like a sensible option for me don't you think?
    Friday, September 7, 2007 3:28 PM
  • Yes, you may install an OEM version of Windows XP Home Edition.  The installation would require a "clean install".

And yes, OEM versions of Windows are non-transferrable to a different computer.  Only "retail versions", which include the one with the WGA kit, are transferrable.

Clean Install Windows XP: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Friday, September 7, 2007 4:01 PM
  • you have been really helpful carey. thanks again. have a great day (?)
    Friday, September 7, 2007 4:04 PM

All replies

• You would need a "full version", and not an "upgrade version", of Windows XP Professional.  The most economical way to "get genuine" is to purchase the WGA kit.

In order to resolve your non-genuine licensing issue, please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, click on the Get Genuine button which will provide information on how to acquire a WGA Kit.

Friday, September 7, 2007 1:27 PM
  • Thank you carey

alright two things then:
    1. Do you know (or someone else maybe) if microsoft offers a discount to students on the "get genuine" price? they kindy offer us discounts when it is brought first hand after all.

and 2. more importantly - if i click to buy the get genuine offer, what happens then? Will a genuine windows CD be shipped out to me?

cheers
    Friday, September 7, 2007 2:40 PM
  • Everyone taking advantage of the WGA kit offer pays the same price.  It is a "full retail version" of Windows XP Professional and a genuine CD will be mailed to you.  The price is about half of what you would normally pay if you shopped at retail computer stores.

Friday, September 7, 2007 3:05 PM
  • thank carey.
    you've really been helpful!!

After some more research i am considering an OEM version of Vista Home
    my understanding is the OEM versions are intended for manufacturers to preinstall on machines before they are shipped, but that they can be legitimately brought and installed on a home built machine as well.

OEM versions can only be installed as a clean install - not an upgrade (do you need to reformat the machine first or will that happen automatically?).
    OEM versions are tied to one particular machine (motherboard?) and once that machine is defunct the OEM licence is void.
    There is no technical support from microsoft for OEM software.
    OEM software cannot be upgraded.
    You can continue to upgrade hardware such as ram, cpu, harddrive

is this a reasonably accurate understanding of the end user agreement?
    Im wanting to reformat my machine anyway so this seems like a sensible option for me don't you think?
    Friday, September 7, 2007 3:28 PM
  • Yes, you may install an OEM version of Windows XP Home Edition.  The installation would require a "clean install".

And yes, OEM versions of Windows are non-transferrable to a different computer.  Only "retail versions", which include the one with the WGA kit, are transferrable.

Clean Install Windows XP: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Friday, September 7, 2007 4:01 PM
  • you have been really helpful carey. thanks again. have a great day (?)
    Friday, September 7, 2007 4:04 PM