How to force WHS clean install over WS 2008? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using the Trial of Windows Server 2008 and when I tried to do a fresh install of Vail from the boot DVD I was unable to select any options for HDD configurations and since my C drive is 140gb the installer would not load, and I was not able to select another HDD, all of which are larger than 160gb.  

So I tried doing an install from within windows and it seems to be doing fine so far.  Is this the correct method for getting started?  And how will it effect my key and my configurations?

Sunday, July 11, 2010 7:45 AM

Answers

• I have been using the Trial of Windows Server 2008 and when I tried to do a fresh install of Vail from the boot DVD I was unable to select any options for HDD configurations and since my C drive is 140gb the installer would not load, and I was not able to select another HDD, all of which are larger than 160gb.  

So I tried doing an install from within windows and it seems to be doing fine so far.  Is this the correct method for getting started?  And how will it effect my key and my configurations?

You need to boot from the Vail DVD and install that way.  Installing Vail from within WHS is definitely not supported (and I would have to believe you will run into issues with it).

Just disconnect all of your drives except for one (that is over 160 GB) and install on to that.  Or there is a switch (which is in the release documents) that will allow you to "bypass" the hardware restrictions.  However, there is no guarantee that that switch will make it to RTM.

Sunday, July 11, 2010 2:12 PM