Vista x64 not backing up automatically... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have 3 computers connected to a WHS, 2 running 32bit Vista, and they backup automatically. The 3rd PC running 64bit Vista doesn't backup automatically.
    Very ocasionally it will backup automatically (maybe once every 2 weeks), but usually I get a health notification from the server telling me the PC hasn't backed up in 5 days.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled the connector software.
    If I turn off backups and then turn them back on a backup starts immediately.
    Manual backups run fine.
    There's nothing obvious in the event viewer on the server.
    I'd really appreciate help in trying to fix this! Thanks

Charlie
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 3:39 PM

Answers

• cjoy said:

It's sort of a mixture :-) Backups are scheduled to run between 9AM and 5AM. The PC is generally on between 6pm and 11pm and usually in standby overnight unless it's doing a virus scan etc. Backup was set to wake the PC if it was in standby.

My other PC generally starts a backup within 30minutes of being turned on for the first time each day...

When you configure a backup for a PC, the PC will randomly choose a time within the first half of the backup window to wake from standby or (usually, depends on hardware, drivers, OS, etc. for complete reliability) hibernation. 

It sounds to me like your PC is going to randomly choose a time between 9:00 AM and 7:00 PM. Since I believe you're saying that your PC is shut down before 6:00 PM, I would not expect you to get a backup more than one in ten nights at best. 

Your best solution will be to set your backup window to a time when the PC is in standby, i.e. the default overnight window.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by cjoy Sunday, March 1, 2009 3:50 PM
    Monday, February 9, 2009 9:16 PM

All replies

• cjoy said:

Hi,

I have 3 computers connected to a WHS, 2 running 32bit Vista, and they backup automatically. The 3rd PC running 64bit Vista doesn't backup automatically.
    Very ocasionally it will backup automatically (maybe once every 2 weeks), but usually I get a health notification from the server telling me the PC hasn't backed up in 5 days.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled the connector software.
    If I turn off backups and then turn them back on a backup starts immediately.
    Manual backups run fine.
    There's nothing obvious in the event viewer on the server.
    I'd really appreciate help in trying to fix this! Thanks

Charlie

Are you putting your 64-bit Vista client in standby/hibernation?  Or are you just leaving it on?
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 3:52 PM
  • It's sort of a mixture :-) Backups are scheduled to run between 9AM and 5AM. The PC is generally on between 6pm and 11pm and usually in standby overnight unless it's doing a virus scan etc. Backup was set to wake the PC if it was in standby.

My other PC generally starts a backup within 30minutes of being turned on for the first time each day...

Saturday, February 7, 2009 4:02 PM
  • cjoy said:

It's sort of a mixture :-) Backups are scheduled to run between 9AM and 5AM. The PC is generally on between 6pm and 11pm and usually in standby overnight unless it's doing a virus scan etc. Backup was set to wake the PC if it was in standby.

It might be due to being put in standby.  My suggestion would be to leave it fully powered on (not standby or hibernation) for 24 hours and see if the automatic backup still fails.
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 4:09 PM
  • Hi, thanks for the advice. What I've done is narrowed the backup window for today to be between 12pm and 5pm when the machine will definately be on...I'll see what happens.
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 4:42 PM
  • cjoy said:

When you configure a backup for a PC, the PC will randomly choose a time within the first half of the backup window to wake from standby or (usually, depends on hardware, drivers, OS, etc. for complete reliability) hibernation. 

It sounds to me like your PC is going to randomly choose a time between 9:00 AM and 7:00 PM. Since I believe you're saying that your PC is shut down before 6:00 PM, I would not expect you to get a backup more than one in ten nights at best. 

Your best solution will be to set your backup window to a time when the PC is in standby, i.e. the default overnight window.

• Marked as answer by cjoy Sunday, March 1, 2009 3:50 PM
    Monday, February 9, 2009 9:16 PM
  • Hi,
    well the backup on Saturday worked fine...I then changed the window to 9am-11pm and no backup. However the PC in question was off until 6PM...
    Thanks to Ken for pointing out how the backup is scheduled :-) Is the backup time generated daily....it's weird beacuse 1 of my PCs backups around 6PM as soon as it's turned on...

BUT if the scheduling is decided by the client, and IF the client is OFF surely no backup will be scheduled? I'd have thought that with the above window, assuming the client is switched on at 6PM the backup will be scheduled for some random time between 6PM and 11PM?
    As it stands there are 2 PCs I'd like to backup
    1 powered on occasionally between 8AM and 7PM
    1 powered on between 6PM and 6AM (but mostly in standby after 11PM).
    I'm going to set the window to 5PM-11PM to try to backup both computers daily..

Thanks for the advice
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 1:37 AM
  • I don't know exactly when the next backup time is chosen. I know that it happens every night, though, probably as part of the backup, because a computer will back up at a different time every night if it's backing up regularly. So if your computer chooses (randomly) 2:00 PM, and it's turned off at that time, it could be that it won't choose another time. Et cetera.
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 2:01 AM
  • I'll see what happens with the new backup time... :-)

I'm curious about the statement that a time is chosen randomly from the first half of the backup window. Is it the case that for a given window a backup will never start in the 2nd half of the window? That seems odd, why have a backup window, half of which is never used?

Thanks again for the help
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 2:23 AM
  • I don't know why that method was chosen. My theory is that by choosing a backup time in the first half of the window you maximize the chances that all backups will be done by the end of the window. Presumably the window will be set to span a period when none of the computers in question are in use, and if a backup runs late it could have a significant performance impact.
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 3:46 PM
  • I'm also having problems backing up a Vista 64 client. I wish to have the computer wake from s3 suspend for the backup. I've created a scheduled task to wake from suspend and display a message at the start of the backup window. However, when this task is triggered, Vista wakes but returns to suspend within two minutes even though Power Management is set to suspend after 30 minutes. Has anyone figured out a way to automatically wake from suspend and stay awake long enough for the backup to start?

Jerry
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 2:35 PM
  • Sorry to hijack!

I too have been having this problem with my Vista x64 machine, it is really annoying!

There is defintely something wrong with WHS with regards to this feature.

Regardless of all the technical reasons of why a backup should/shouldn't happen and at what time it will or won't backup.

EVERY single PC, I have 9 of them, on my network starts a backup immediately as soon as I switch it on if it has not been backed up (i.e. Orange/Yellow WHS Icon) and I am in the 'Backup Window'. All except for the x64 PC

I also might get an automatic backup on the third Wednesday of the month if there is a blue moon and the wind is in the right direction! But I have left this PC on for days and it just won't do the backup it will however tell me that it has not been backed up!

I have resigned myself to doing a manual backup.

I started down the CONNECT route, but this is too tedious e.g data collection not working correctly, workarounds to send log files etc. etc.

That's my 2 cents!

Regards,
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 12:15 PM
  • Villa Elsa said:

Sorry to hijack!

I started down the CONNECT route, but this is too tedious e.g data collection not working correctly, workarounds to send log files etc. etc.

A) Your issue may not be related to the thread you're hijacking, even if it seems to you like it's identical. That's why you're encouraged to create a new thread for your own particular issue.

B) While I understand your point regarding Connect, if you don't submit a bug report there, there is approximately zero chance that Microsoft will ever look into the specific issue that you are having, with your server and your client computer. If the issue is something that they can correct, they will do so (for you) only by accident, in the process of correcting someone else's issue. So please work through the process of submitting a bug report on Connect, no matter how onerous you find it. :)

I honestly can't tell you why your Vista x64 PC isn't backing up, because mine do, very reliably. That suggests to me that there is something about the configuration of your Vista x64 PC which is causing the problem you're experiencing, but without experiencing the issue myself it's unlikely that I can tell you what exactly that might be.

Thursday, February 12, 2009 4:25 PM
  • Villa Elsa said:

Sorry to hijack!

I too have been having this problem with my Vista x64 machine, it is really annoying!

There is defintely something wrong with WHS with regards to this feature.

Regardless of all the technical reasons of why a backup should/shouldn't happen and at what time it will or won't backup.

EVERY single PC, I have 9 of them, on my network starts a backup immediately as soon as I switch it on if it has not been backed up (i.e. Orange/Yellow WHS Icon) and I am in the 'Backup Window'. All except for the x64 PC

I also might get an automatic backup on the third Wednesday of the month if there is a blue moon and the wind is in the right direction! But I have left this PC on for days and it just won't do the backup it will however tell me that it has not been backed up!

I have resigned myself to doing a manual backup.

That's my 2 cents!

Regards,

As Ken said, without logs and other data relating to the PCs and the server, we cannot diagnose why the PC is not backing up. I can tell you that with 9 PCs, if your backup windows are not configured correctly, you do run into the problem with the fact that the backup server can only do one thing at a time. Also, if you are attempting to backup on a Sunday, you run the risk of coming up against the cleanup process.

If you do not want to collect the logs for us, I suggest going back and checking the logs in these locations and seeing if you can determine whether or not activies are overlapping.

XP machine:
    %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

Vista/Windows 7 machine:
    %SystemDrive%\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

Server logs:         
    %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

I would also check your event logs on the client and the server. This might be related to an issue with VSS.

But I am just guessing since I do not have diagnostics.

Thank you

Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 5:10 PM
  • Well, as the original poster I thought I'd return to let you know that IF I set the backup window to be when the x64 PC is ALWAYS on, the backups happen on a daily basis...I've waited a couple of weeks before posting this to be sure. So my issue is fixed. Thanks for all tyhe replies and help :-)

HOWEVER, I'd echo the posters comments beow:

Quote: EVERY single PC, I have 9 of them, on my network starts a backup immediately as soon as I switch it on if it has not been backed up (i.e. Orange/Yellow WHS Icon) and I am in the 'Backup Window'. All except for the x64 PC

In that I've seen the exact same behavior; with say a 20 hour backup windowI can turn on a 32it PC and the backup starts immediately, regardless of where in the backup window the power on occurs, which is not true for the x64 computer...

Thanks again!
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 3:50 PM