Music mainly, but also videos, pictures etc.. RRS feed

• Question

•  

I would appreciate an understanding of how to setup, share, copy, move, my media files in an efficient way.

I run WHS (no problems) with 3 local desktops and a 'road warrior' laptop. My music is scattered.

I have installed Web Guide and at this point I see only a single album. My collection is mixed includes legit cd copies and single legit downloads. All copies are my own cd's or downloads from a music store.

I believe I have sharing setup in each computers Media player yet I do not see all the music.

As well I want to record additional albums/cd's and wonder about the correct procedure given my current experience.

I need to know from a practical point of view.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 5:18 AM

Answers

• Currently, WHS is designed for bulk storage, not as a Media Center.

WHS does come with UPnP (which you turn on in the settings dialog as "media sharing), but uses the older Media Connect 2.0 software (WMP11 and Vista use an upgraded version to share media via UPnP - some devices don't support the older version).

From what I can tell, you're wanting all the devices on your network to share their media using UPnP. That should work for UPnP capable clients, but WHS isn't a UPnP client - it's not going to go looking for sources of music for you.

When you say you can only see one album, where are you looking from? The WHS with Web Guide installed? How many albums have you copied to WHS? What music are you not seeing from your clients (and where is that missing music located)?

From a practical point of a view, a centralized system is always easier to manage. Is there a reason you don't want to copy all your media to WHS?

Thursday, January 24, 2008 8:36 AM