WHS Software For Development RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am a developer who has an MSDN subscription and would like to develop applications that target WHS, however I have noticed that the software is not available within MSDN. How does Microsoft expect those of us who write third-party applications to get the software? I have seen some copies for sale on the net, but wonder why should I have to pay another $200 when I have a $2,000 MSDN subscription that is *supposed* to contain all of the Microsoft operating systems.

-Pete

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 10:44 PM

Answers

• The answer, Pete, is that the WHS team and MSDN are talking, and Windows Home Server may (not will, may) eventually be a part of MSDN. But if you want to develop for it today, you should either buy a fully licensed copy, or a 120 day evaluation kit.
    Wednesday, December 12, 2007 1:35 AM

All replies

•  

Apparently I'm not the only one who feels this way..  I saw the other thread!  Wink

-Pete

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 10:52 PM
  • The answer, Pete, is that the WHS team and MSDN are talking, and Windows Home Server may (not will, may) eventually be a part of MSDN. But if you want to develop for it today, you should either buy a fully licensed copy, or a 120 day evaluation kit.
    Wednesday, December 12, 2007 1:35 AM
  • Ken,

Thanks.  As I stated, I saw the other thread and realized that this was the case.

I'll echo the sentiments of many others and say that Microsoft is making the same mistake as they initially did with Media Center. Once MCE was released on MSDN there were quite a few add-ons created using the SDK simply because independent developers had a chance to "muck" with the software and see all the cool features.

Since I am a single developer, $160 doesn't sound like much, but when you consider the fact that I have a combination of 32-bit and 64-bit hardware and that I typically like to use a "clean" version of the OS to test my software you can see that I will likely need to purchase five or more licenses.

I'm not sure that is a reasonable thing to expect of your independent software developers who have already spent quite a bit of money for an MSDN license.

While I have a couple of ideas that I'd like to try with WHS, I think I'll just put them on hold until the software is released via MSDN. If it's never released, I'll just continue to concentrate on my MCE and Vista work and ignore WHS unless I get a customer willing to fund the expenses of developing on the platform.  Smile

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 5:54 PM