installation for the last month or two. I'd like to restore all of C:
    from a WHS backup created around September 1. I've restored individual
    files before, but never the entire system drive. Can someone tell me
    how to do it?

Ken Blake

Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 7:58 PM

All replies

• Use the Home Computer Restore CD. Since you have a 64 bit Windows 7 client to restore, you should read this FAQ. Even if you don't have a Realtek NIC the same concepts apply: the (64 bit) drivers that Windows Home Server extracts are useless in the 32 bit restore environment. You may also need storage drivers, if your drives aren't seen by the Restore CD.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 8:06 PM
  • On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 20:06:44 +0000, Ken Warren [MVP] wrote:

Use the Home Computer Restore CD. Since you have a 64 bit Windows 7 client to restore, you should readthis FAQ <http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/b14e3cf2-7b02-4569-8c26-c75b7a58d6e7>. Even if you don't have a Realtek NIC the same concepts apply: the (64 bit) drivers that Windows Home Server extracts are useless in the 32 bit restore environment. You may also need storage drivers, if your drives aren't seen by the Restore CD.

Thanks very much. I'll read it shortly.

Ken Blake

Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 9:19 PM
  • If you have more than one client connected to the whs, you could connect the drive to another computer and use %programfiles%\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe to restore the drive. This way, you don't have to bother with NIC drivers etc.

Friday, November 12, 2010 8:57 AM
  • On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 08:57:41 +0000, Bjurran wrote:

If you have more than one client connected to the whs,

Yes I do.

you could connect the drive

The drive? Which drive do you mean? Do you mean the C: drive I want
    to restore? Are you recommending temporarily removing the drive from
    my computer and installing it on another in the network?

to another computer and use %programfiles%\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe to restore the drive. This way, you don't have to bother with NIC drivers etc.

Assuming that I don't move drives, can you elaborate on what I should
    do regarding "NIC drivers, etc."?

Ken Blake

Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP
    Friday, November 12, 2010 2:35 PM
  • Assuming that I don't move drives, can you elaborate on what I should

Hi,

Basically just follow standard procedures for restoring a WHS client: boot the client PC to restore from the Client Restore CD.
    In many cases this will work without supplying any additional drivers.Cahnces are however that you do need to add additional drivers for your NIC: in a previous post Ken Warren hinted at an FAQ explaining how to handle NIC driver problems for Windows 7 64-bit. The normal way (using the USB-Thumbdrive) does not work there as the Restore CD is 32-bits.

Using the Restore CD + Thumbdrive is by design and probably the most confortable way to do a Bare Metal Restore. In case of problems you can work arround (see Bjurans's post) by moving the drive to restore to another WHS client and do the restore from there.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Saturday, November 13, 2010 10:27 PM
  • On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 22:27:42 +0000, Theo van Elsberg wrote:

Assuming that I don't move drives, can you elaborate on what I should

Hi,

Basically just follow standard procedures for restoring a WHS client: boot the client PC to restore from the Client Restore CD.
    In many cases this will work without supplying any additional drivers.Cahnces are however that you do need to add additional drivers for your NIC: in a previous post Ken Warren hinted at an FAQ explaining how to handle NIC driver problems for Windows 7*64-bit*. The normal way (using the USB-Thumbdrive) does not work there as the Restore CD is 32-bits.

Using the Restore CD + Thumbdrive is by design and probably the most confortable way to do a Bare Metal Restore. In case of problems you can work arround (see Bjurans's post) by moving the drive to restore to another WHS client and do the restore from there.

Thanks very much.

Ken Blake

Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP
    Saturday, November 13, 2010 11:48 PM