Access Denied: Persists After Re-Boot RRS feed

• Question

• I'm still getting "Failing (Check Health)" on two of my shares post a WHS new build followed by restoration of data from backup.

One of them is explicable: Non-standard Virus checking utility (Avast !) and I figure the workaround is just a matter of Googling until I find it.   Moving the offending files/directory to somewhere in C:\ would be my uneducated guess.

But the other one has me beat so far.   It's the same message as the Avast! files - but these files are expendable and, accordingly, I am trying to delete them.   

Problem is that WSH isn't buying it.   I have re-booted several times , but the "Access Denied" message persists.

This isn't exactly a religious issue: I have isolated the problem files in a "Corrupt" directory and as a practical matter they could stay there forever and nobody should care.

But for the sake of convenience  (not having to check up on what's behind the "Network At Risk" notification every time I open a console), I would prefer to delete the offending files.

I wonder if the fact that WSH allowed me to move those files to the "Corrupt" directory but will not let me delete them offers a clue.

Suggestions?
    Monday, October 12, 2009 1:50 PM

All replies

• I think I've answered my own question.

The immediate cause seems thb the "A" (archive?) attribute having been set in the files within each folder.

That includes the Avast folder too.

Did the command line   "attrib -a  *.*" thing, found I still could not get to them, then rebooted and was able to delete all the offending files.

FWIW, I *thought* I had done that at least once or twice before.   Only thing I can think of is that I left out the /S /D arguments.
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 12:18 AM