Windows Notification Area Icon Option RRS feed

• Question

• I noticed that if we uninstall a software (& it has a notification of some sort icon in try) & reboot PC we still see its icon under Windows Notification Area Icon option.  Why it is keeping track of a uninstall software. any idea??
    Mas~
    • Moved by Jing0 Tuesday, September 8, 2009 9:22 AM (From:Windows Forms Sample Applications)
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 3:47 PM

Answers

All replies

• This is not related to to the forum.

Anyway, windows maintains MRU list that is 'Most Recently Used' items List in registry which is located here

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify\PastIconsStream

If you delete PastIconsStream key, it will clear history.

Note: Playing with registry _is dangerous.

Thanks

My BlogMy FlickrMy Facebook
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 4:05 PM
  • Thanks Omie for your respond

Now my question will be is this software's (the one which I am uninstalling) responsiblitiy to delete or reset this key by default ?
    Also I tried again after deleting that key but still having the same issue...
    Mas~
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 4:12 PM

• You need to restart explorer to see effect.

Applications are not supposed to bother about removing it. Further, MRU is a binary data which you need to decode and delete your specific icon entry which is.. uhh.. forget it.. kind of job. If you delete other icons all together, no, you're not supposed to do that.

Thanks

Tuesday, September 1, 2009 4:41 PM
  • Nop it did not worked

Mas~
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 6:25 PM

• Microsoft says this:

How do I clear past items from the Customize Notifications dialog box in Windows XP?  

That Key I gave is for Vista.

I dont see any difference in method.

Thanks

Tuesday, September 1, 2009 6:30 PM
  • I am seeing this problem on Win 7 & your solution did not work. sorry did not mentioned OS before
    Vista looks fine i.e. software take care of tray notification icon while uninstalling

Mas~
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 3:28 PM

• If it was working on Vista and Now its Not working on Windows 7, first confirm that its indeed a problem and report bug.

Start | Run | rundll32.exe FeedbackTool.dll, ShowWizard

Thanks

Wednesday, September 2, 2009 3:45 PM
  • I am moving this thread from Windows Form Sample Applications forum due to this thread is not related to windows forms application developing.

But I have no idea which is the right forum to ask. So I move this thread to “Where Is the Forum For...?”.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Ling Wang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 9:20 AM