none
WHS as DHCP server to bypass router RRS feed

• Question

• I have an ISP cable Modem connected to my Linksys Router
    This is presenting some remote access challenges
    Can I remove the router, add second network card to my WHS, and use WHS to be the DHCP server?
    If it is possible can you walk me through the steps?

Thank You
    Fred Williams - Si1vanus
    Friday, October 30, 2009 3:28 AM

All replies

• I have an ISP cable Modem connected to my Linksys Router
    This is presenting some remote access challenges
    Can I remove the router, add second network card to my WHS, and use WHS to be the DHCP server?
    If it is possible can you walk me through the steps?

Thank You
    Fred Williams - Si1vanus
    First, logging into the server desktop (which you would need to do in order to setup WHS as a DHCP server) is unsupported.  Second, it could be a a violation of the EULA (you are not allowed to add roles to your server).  Third, using 2 NICs in your server is not supported either.  You would be better off trying to fix your Remote Access problem with your current router.  What exactly is the problem you're having with Remote Access?
    Friday, October 30, 2009 4:38 AM
  • Some ISP's block port 80.  I just use https on port 443 and everything works just dandy.
    Friday, October 30, 2009 6:16 AM
  • Using your server as a router is, as already noted, a violation of the EULA. In addition, it's a much riskier course of action than configuring your network properly, and you will still likely have the same problem, which I assume is that your cable modem is acting as a router thus creating a "double NAT" situation.

You should check with your ISP or the manufacturer of your cable modem and find out how to put it in "bridge" or "passthrough" mode. In this mode it will act as a dumb interface between your router (which will now be on the edge of your network) and your ISP. Failing that you can usually do the same thing with your router, turning it into a switch.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 30, 2009 3:59 PM