none
My Edit Continue stopped working on VS 2013

Question

• I used Edit & Continue quite often and I was very happy that even 64 bit now works on VS2013.

However now I cannot use Edit Continue on any program. I am getting a message:

"Changes are not allowed for this module as it was not built for changes while debugging or the target .NET runtime version does not support it."

It does not work on ver 3.0, 4.0, 4.5 and 4.5.1

It does not work event on fresh Command line application with no code added.

I am using Windows 8.1 preview and of course VS 2013 Preview

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 3:41 PM

Answers

• I did - did not help, I was trying to restore system to the state two weeks ago, which failed (btw with a nice message - cannot access file, access denied - without even telling me which file and it was run in Safe Mode).

So i have decided that there is something seriously wrong with my machine and I just finished reinstalling Windows 8.1 and VS 2013. And ... Edit Continue now works.

So I still do not know what caused it :( C'est la vie :)

Friday, August 02, 2013 12:41 AM

All replies

• Thanks for reporting this problem, just to make sure that I understand correctly it sounds like this was working on this machine and now has stopped? 

It may help to try repairing your Visual Studio installation using Control Panel -> Add Remove Programs

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 8:16 PM
  • It is a bit desperate idea :) - but I might be forced to do so. However I would prefer to learn what is causing this and why there is no even one page on google with this message - is my computer so special? :)

Update: There is one now - this one! :)

• Edited by zbych Wednesday, July 31, 2013 9:15 PM
    Wednesday, July 31, 2013 9:15 PM
  • Is it possible that the setting to enable edit and continue got turned off somehow under Tools -> Options -> Debugging -> Edit and Continue? 

If that was not turned off and a basic console application is failing (assuming the type of edits are supported) it's unfortunately very hard to do any diagnosis as everything is expected to work; and the fact that it was working and then stopped is indicative that something on the machine was changed, which would require access to the machine to determine what.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 9:21 PM
  • I have reinstalled (or rather repaired VS2013) and still have the same problem, I also have Reshareper 8 installed and reflector.

Is there a way to check what is the problem?

I have no problem allowing access to my machine if it is under my supervision

Thursday, August 01, 2013 2:44 AM
  • It is possible that one of your add-ins is impacting edit and continue.  Can you try disabling Resharper and Reflector and see if this is still an issue?

Also another thing to verify is that you have a "Debug" build configuration, Edit and Continue does not work in Retail mode.

Friday, August 02, 2013 12:05 AM
  • I did - did not help, I was trying to restore system to the state two weeks ago, which failed (btw with a nice message - cannot access file, access denied - without even telling me which file and it was run in Safe Mode).

So i have decided that there is something seriously wrong with my machine and I just finished reinstalling Windows 8.1 and VS 2013. And ... Edit Continue now works.

So I still do not know what caused it :( C'est la vie :)

Friday, August 02, 2013 12:41 AM
  • Sorry to hear that you had to do a full re-install of Windows, but glad to hear that your Edit and Continue is working again, thanks for closing the loop
    Friday, August 02, 2013 3:40 AM
  • It has happened with RC of both. Now I have installed RTM versions of both (Windows 8.1 and VS 2013) and ... back the same problem.

Any ideas? I am not so keen to do reinstalation again

Thursday, October 24, 2013 9:33 PM
  • I have had this issue on the current release and found the issue was in Telerik's JustMock profiler.  If I disable the profiler edit and continue works with no problems.

As a first check I would recommend disabling profilers on add on tools.

These profilers also tend to interfere with code coverage.

• Proposed as answer by Poris Monday, August 31, 2015 3:56 PM
    Tuesday, November 12, 2013 4:10 PM
  • Another suggestion. From a command prompt, launch devenv.exe with the /safemode switch. This switch will prevent any 3rd party extensions from loading. If the problem behavior disappears, you'll likely need to narrow down the issue by removing/disabling the various extensions you've installed.

If the problem remains, you may need to open a support incident and have one of the support engineers grab a trace dump for further analysis.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 7:59 PM
  • I have started process of registering support incident, but it was too late to call, so I had to wait till next day. In the meantime I have reinstalled VS again and ... it works now.

If it happens next time, I will not try to fix it and call support instantly :)

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 8:28 PM
  • I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to post here, since this was the first Google hit for the error message I was getting:

"Changes are not allowed for this module as it was not built for changes while debugging or the target .NET runtime version does not support it."

I was getting this in Visual Studio 2013 update 1 on Win 7 for a VB.Net web project, and was able to fix it by going into the Project Properties -> Compile -> Advanced Compile Options, and changing the "Generate debug info" to "Full"

• Proposed as answer by dox22 Wednesday, June 04, 2014 4:56 PM
    Thursday, February 27, 2014 3:05 PM
  • I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to post here, since this was the first Google hit for the error message I was getting:

I was getting this in Visual Studio 2013 update 1 on Win 7 for a VB.Net web project, and was able to fix it by going into the Project Properties -> Compile -> Advanced Compile Options, and changing the "Generate debug info" to "Full"

This work for me plus change Target CPU to x86

Project Properties -> Compile -> Target CPU [x86]

My O.S. is Win 7x64 and VS2013 Prof.

Wednesday, June 04, 2014 4:59 PM
  • I was having this problem, too, and growing increasingly frustrated at the lack of helpful advice online.

As it turns out, I have JustMock installed, and disabling it as Rex suggested solved my problem!

Thanks, Rex!

Monday, August 04, 2014 1:53 PM
  • ....and was able to fix it by going into the Project Properties -> Compile -> Advanced Compile Options, and changing the "Generate debug info" to "Full"

I've been trying to find an answer as to why I was unable to E&C in AutoCAD 2015 x64 for months. I just saw this message, tried it, and BAM, it's now working just fine. Thank you!

Jeff

Sunday, August 10, 2014 4:43 PM

This work for me plus change Target CPU to x86

Project Properties -> Compile -> Target CPU [x86]

My O.S. is Win 7x64 and VS2013 Prof.

I tried that and it didn't work until i also disabled "Project Properties, Build, Optimize code".
    • Proposed as answer by Cees Timmerman Tuesday, February 03, 2015 2:39 PM
    Tuesday, February 03, 2015 2:38 PM
  • For those facing similar issues, here' something that might be worth consideration.

I've faced the same issue, and it seems like edit-and-continue doesn't work as intended when you set multiple startup projects in VS2013. So start there and see; set your main project (or the project you're trying to debug) to the (only) startup project and check again.

In my particular case, I've had a WCF service (IIS Express) running as a secondary project, so that might have been the issue. Worth checking and fiddling with that.

Sunday, August 12, 2018 3:01 PM