I had a valid xp home edition but was lost with motherboard meltdown on compact presario s7300cl. RRS feed

• Question

• Old compact recovery disks did not work with motherboard and new recovery disks were purchased from compaq which also did not install.  So there are two legal window xp home additions for this computer that have been purchased and I have product key. Please accept my vista premium key which I purchased for$158.94 plus tax from Walmart and was told that 

that it would work which it does nicely

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 5:59 PM

Answers

• If you replaced your Compaq's motherboard with a non-Compaq motherboard, the OEM product key affixed to the Compaq computer can no longer be used.

An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a "new personal computer" to which Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from another computer. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced, for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created and the license of new operating system software is required.

The replacement motherboard must be the same make/model or the same manufacturer’s replacement/equivalent, as defined by that manufacturer’s warranty.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 6:13 PM