Suggestion RRS feed

• General discussion

• I fully understand Microsoft's attempt to eliminate pirated copies of it's software.
    They deserve to get paid for their products.
    But the validation proccess is too rigid. There must be an easier way.
    I am constantly tearing apart and rebuilding my computer and having to call Microsoft just because I changed motherboards or harddrives is a pain.
    Perhaps for people like myself they could offer a hardware solution (for a little extra $ of course).
    A chip on a usb dongle. This chip can be what the software looks for to validate the system.
    This way I can rebuild as many time as I like without having to call Microsoft and Microsoft is assured that my software is valid and only installed on one machine.
    Tuesday, May 9, 2006 6:11 PM

All replies

•  Starcros wrote:
    I fully understand Microsoft's attempt to eliminate pirated copies of it's software.
    They deserve to get paid for their products.
    But the validation proccess is too rigid. There must be an easier way.
    I am constantly tearing apart and rebuilding my computer and having to call Microsoft just because I changed motherboards or harddrives is a pain.
    Perhaps for people like myself they could offer a hardware solution (for a little extra $ of course).
    A chip on a usb dongle. This chip can be what the software looks for to validate the system.
    This way I can rebuild as many time as I like without having to call Microsoft and Microsoft is assured that my software is valid and only installed on one machine.

Starcros:

Thanks for the insight! I really like that idea (USB validation, etc). I've shown this to some marketing folks, lets hope they give it a shot. :)

-Phil Liu

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 2:26 AM
  • Your Welcome,
    I'm just full of it (ideals that is).
    Are there any Microsoft forums other then WGA related?
    Wednesday, May 10, 2006 3:07 AM
  • I have seen that system used for software before, you can set parameters up so different users get different access/user rights, this was done via dongle as well.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 8:15 AM
  • I can see it now....

"Your computer has been identified as using a counterfeit dongle.  Please pay $150 for a new dongle."

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 3:11 PM
  • That would be $149 for a new dongle...the Microsoft Marketing folks have determined that prices $150 and above discourage users from validating.........
    Wednesday, May 10, 2006 4:59 PM