none
Student: Confused about Metro/C# Retained-Mode Graphics Drawing RRS feed

• Question

• I'm a student and really into programming, I'm very fluent in Java a bit of HTML and JavaScript I was looking forward to programming metro style apps in C# considering its very similar to Java.

Since learning c# I've ran into several problems the biggest of these problems is the fact that Metro style apps use something called Retained-Mode Graphics Drawing. Coming from Java and HTML Canvas this concept is very confusing to me.

For example most of the applications I've created in the past have used Immediate-Mode Graphics Drawing. Where I draw directly to the component using some Graphics Object by overriding some kind of paint method.

My question is what should I use to develop metro applications when I'm looking to create applications that could be potentially drawing thousands of objects, such as games / drawing apps?

In Java I'd simply override paintComponent() or for performance I could draw directly to an image which avoids retaining thousands of objects and drawing them every frame (very heavy weight) instead they could be drawn once.

I'm just confused because I don't want to retain every line and rectangle I add to a Canvas. After awhile this will get very slow. Any suggestions?

Thank you :)

• Edited by neptune692 Thursday, April 26, 2012 4:08 AM
    • Moved by Bob Shen Wednesday, May 9, 2012 7:28 AM (From:Visual C# General)
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 4:08 AM

All replies