Both 1:N AND N:1 relationship RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have 2 entities with lookups to each other. I didn't create these entities, and I don't know who did. My question is, would this ever be a correct set up? I'm thinking not. There is no N:N relationship for either entity in the N:N relationship tab.

On account1, if I change the lookup to contact1, the lookup on contact1 that points to the account entity, is not updated. So account1 could be looking up to contact1, but contact1 could be looking up to account2. (The entities are custom entities, but I just used accounts and contacts to describe the issue).

Thanks

Friday, September 16, 2016 11:51 AM

All replies

• I have heard of this being used to mimic a 1:1 relationship?  Maybe that was the intent?
    Friday, September 16, 2016 4:57 PM
  • Hi,

Your entity setup is correct and to achieve 1:1 relationship between two entities you can use 1:N  between each other entity.

So,you can place those entity lookup fields on the form of each other entity.

Thanks,

Sam

Inogic | Blog | news@inogic.com

If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

Saturday, September 17, 2016 11:26 AM
  • you need to update the lookups whenever the change happens in other lookup, this has to be a plugin or workflow.

If your entity design and requirements allow i would suggest you to create a N:N relationship and use it accordingly.

If my response answered your question, please "mark the response as an answer" and also "vote as helpful". Regards, Hari. www.crm2011byhari.blogspot.com

Monday, September 19, 2016 3:58 PM